My ugly camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ugly$500Camper

Like my name and my post states, I?ve bought myself an ugly $500 1983 Coachman camper! It?s a 23? and I have very little knowledge of campers. There once upon a time was a leak in the bathroom that caused the bathroom wall panels to bow, they decided to prime everything (terribly I might add) and I mean EVERYTHING. It was a hunters special for sure. Now I want to make it not so ugly and functional for my family to take on short camping trips. I could use some advice. First, how do I go about replacing my bathroom walls? And secondly we are at a loss on how to add a bed for adults to the front of the camper. They ripped out the original bench and used a futon however it was primed (or drips and slips) and the supports are broken so it needs to go. The space isn?t the biggest and I?m not sure what the best way to go about it might be. Any suggestions?  :-*

Nice user name!
You will first want to remove the panels and see if there is further damage.  Chances are, if the wall board is bowed, the wall structure and roof structure is also damaged.

You could add a pull out couch up front. Is the dinette table still in place. It can fold down into a bed as well. They are a bit short for adults, but will work in a pinch.

Thanks! We are going to pull the boards apart to look for any further damage. I?m pretty confident there?s not much damage though. She?s an ugly one but we know the previous owners before the priming owners and they took good care of it. We have the dinette and I thought for my wife it would be good but we also have two small children. I?m 6? tall and I will not fit. I really wish this camper had the full size bed in the back it?s a lot easier to cram children in small places than adults!  The bunk beds are small and claustrophobic. I think my oldest could be on the bottom bunk fine. I?m wondering if anyone knows what the original layout of the camper and what the front might of looked like. We tried measuring for a bed but it seems we are stick with a pull out style or a futon.

Also what would you suggest for replacement? We are opting not to install a shower I think. So the humidity isn?t a problem. Looking for the easiest accessible
Material that isn?t hideous.

You could do a Murphy bed.  My first camper had one of those and it was no less comfortable than a standard camper mattress.  It is a regular queen size.  I am 6 feet tall also and it fit me well.

I love ugly campers.  I've owned a couple of them.  I agree, a comfortable bed for two adults is a must.  I would tear out anything to put in a decent mattress that doesn't have to be pulled out and made up every night.
Here is a link to Coachmen trailer manuals from 1983-86.  You might already have it but it doesn't hurt to post it again.
http://www.coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/13839272.pdf

Ugly$500Camper said:
Like my name and my post states, I?ve bought myself an ugly $500 1983 Coachman camper! It?s a 23? and I have very little knowledge of campers. There once upon a time was a leak in the bathroom that caused the bathroom wall panels to bow, they decided to prime everything (terribly I might add) and I mean EVERYTHING. It was a hunters special for sure. Now I want to make it not so ugly and functional for my family to take on short camping trips. I could use some advice. First, how do I go about replacing my bathroom walls? And secondly we are at a loss on how to add a bed for adults to the front of the camper. They ripped out the original bench and used a futon however it was primed (or drips and slips) and the supports are broken so it needs to go. The space isn?t the biggest and I?m not sure what the best way to go about it might be. Any suggestions?  :-*
I'm curious :) what did you decide to do?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom