Mystery water problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donandlin

On our Holiday Rambler Ambassador we have our city water inlet and the lever to use city water or tank fill. When we unhook the city water hose and turn on the pump to use our tank water, the water shoots out of the city water inlet (in the compartment). If we switch the lever to tank fill it quits shooting out. We always could leave the lever on city water without this happening. Any ideas on what the problem may be?? Thanks!

The check valve in your city water connection is bad. The fitting is usually easy to replace if you care.
Matt

I had the same problem Just took the valve apart cleaned it up and it has worked for a year. but yours may be in need of replacement

Remove the hose connected to the rv. Inside the rv side of that fitting, there should be a filter screen. Using a small knife or screwdriver remove that screen. Now look in the center of the rv fitting and you’ll see what looks like a ball. Use a small blunt tool and push in on that ball. Don’t do it while the system is fully pressurized or else you’ll take a bath. Flush it out real good. Now start the pump and see if it stopped leaking.
Inspect the filter screen. If it looks good, reinstall it. You can buy them at any hardware store. Do not use the hose unless you have a screen filter installed. It stops particle’s from entering your water system.

A quick temporary fix would be to add an inline garden hose shutoff valve until the check valve can be repaired/replaced. Even a common 'Y' adapter with shutoffs would work. Most garden shops carry either one.

I run one of those anyway as it makes it convenient to remove the city water hose without shutting it off at the pedestal. Hook up the pressure washer or a short hose I use for flushing after a dump.

My city water inlet also has a cap but, of course the hose has to be removed to install it. Those little 1/4 turn shut offs are handy all over the place.

My inlet check valve failed once, when I removed the supply hose I could see the small plunger on the end of the valve was tilted to one side. I did as Rene recommended, got a face full of water, but the valve sealed again and has ever since.

We always could leave the lever on city water without this happening.
If you do that your water pump will run constantly, drawing water out of the bottom of the potable water tank and pumping it through the system to the city water connection, where it will divert back into the top of the tank it drew the water out of .

If you do that your water pump will run constantly, drawing water out of the bottom of the potable water tank and pumping it through the system to the city water connection, where it will divert back into the top of the tank it drew the water out of
Perhaps Kirk misunderstood donandlin's statement. That happens with the valve set to FILL, not CITY.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom