NADA Guide Price Vs Dealer Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CKNibler

Hello - My husband and I are going to look at a 2008 Eco Skamper Camper today - the dealer has it listed at $7,480.  I think thats a good price, but when looking at the NADA Guide, I see that the 'Low Retail is $4,450' and the 'High Retail is $5,360'.  So that means the price can be in between, right?  (The unit is base and doesn't have any extra/Optional Features)

Camper/Dealership Ad:
http://www.pricerightsh.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=4443982&p=1&s=Year&d=D&t=preowned&fAmtRange=0-10&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

I went myself yesterday and spoke to the dealer about the unit and they were very nice, but when I asked if they would negotiate on the price, He immediately said they didn't negotiate because they had the lowest prices around,etc.  (I wonder if me being a woman had anything to do with it - I always think that women get a little different treatment than men.  Not always bad, but just like we don't know much, etc.)

NADA Guide Pricing
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2008/Eco/M-718FD/4100620/Values

I've seen other threads in here where the NADA Guide isn't perfect, but the pricing I see in the NADA Guide and what the dealer is selling for, seem a little off. 

Any advice, opinions?  Its the first time buying a used camper so I feel a little lost - Thanks :)

I usually look around the net to see prices (RVT, RV Trader, Craigslist)on similar models.
I make my decision from there.
My buying price does not usually meet their asking price.
Seldom have I purchased an RV based on NADA book.

The price guides can be off from reality but try telling that to a bank if the transaction includes financing.  It doesn't matter if you are the buyer or the seller, the deal can't be completed if the price is too far from book, and a bank is involved.

Regardless of whether or not you think the NADA prices are good or meaningless, don't overlook the following "small print" comment at the very bottom of the page you provided the link to:

Note: Vehicles/Vessels in exceptional condition can be worth a significantly higher value than the Average Retail Price shown.

With a 10 year old trailer, the condition of the specific one you are looking to buy is of major importance.  If it's in really good condition then it's worth more than NADA says.

How much shopping have you done? Do you know exactly what floor plan you want.?  If you're not sure, you probably haven't shopped enough yet. I know it can get overwhelming.

It's whatever you're comfortable at. Me, I like to dicker. I would offer them 5000 and see what they say. If it looks like their not going to budge, walk out. They set a somewhat higher price than the actual value because they know some people will talk them down. Others (they're hoping) will just pay the asking price. There are plenty of used RV's out there. Don't jump at the 1st one you come across.

Also when shopping at dealers, leave your credit card and cash at home. Come up with a price and then go home and think about it. That RV will be there tomorrow.

The banks use the subscription versions of the NADA RV Guide, not the free online version. It's somewhat more reality-based than the freebie version (but still not gospel).  You simply cannot use the NADA RV numbers like you would their car values. Pplus, the older the RV, the more likely the NADA estimated value is likely to diverge from market value.

Further, RV asking prices are routinely puffed up, mostly to be able to offer sales discounts and give more attractive trade-in values.  The "we don't negotiate" is often just the sales guys opening ploy.  Especially if you just inquire about discounts. The only way to really know is to put an offer on the table.

Do more shopping as the others have suggested. Get a feel for ricing at other dealers. However, if this is the perfect RV for you, and the condition truly is excellent, then maybe it's worth the price.  I would not get hung up on the so-called NADA book value.

I found few Skamper Eco for sale on the internet.  One place I did see several listed was    http://www.rvzez.com/show-dutchmen-eco-page-1.html    Most were listed for about $2900.  I did see one other one in Louisiana for $4950.  Hope this helps.

Wow - thank you all for your replies and advise.  We have been searching and searching for months on buying a smaller camper and those seem the hardest to find.  (Under 17 feet) at a decent price, but I do think I will investigate further before going back to the dealer tomorrow.  It is in really good shape, but them saying 'they dont negotiate', set off a warning bell for us.  Thank you again - I appreciate all the feedback. 

Well,  the dealer is in business to sell things and to do so he has to understand the market in his area. If he is confident he can get $7500 for that trailer, he probably has some reason (in addition to greed).  The fact that you aren't finding many in that size & price range in your area gives the dealer some extra leverage.  If you are unwilling to shop a broader area, that gives him even more pricing leverage.  So is the fact that its peak vacation time in Michigan.  Come October, he would likely be more willing.  ;)

All that said, the "lowest prices around" is very likely a negotiation ploy.  I see that the dealer name is "Price-Right", but the website doesn't say anything about "No Haggle Pricing" or anything like that.  In fact, it mentions "show prices", so obviously they discount (have sales) at least some of the time.  I know it's difficult (confrontational) to negotiate hard, but its pretty much how RVs are sold everywhere. 
The only real question is whether it is worth the price TO YOU.

I purchased my fifth wheel for 70% of NADA value.

Keep shopping.  Keep making offers, keep walking away.  Some dealers keep the same RVs on the lot long enough for them to celebrate a birthday.

If you are married to a specific unit, pay what the sellers are asking.

Well you can always go in and make an offer.
First you must make up your mind total price what you are willing to pay. That would include all the stupid stuff the dealer tries to sock to you. Include sales tax but not title and tags
Then write your name, phone number and other particulars on a sheet of paper.
Go to the dealer and say the following;
Hi my name is ---------  I am willing to offer you $XXXX out the door with only title and tag fees from the DMV added on for the (NAME MODel year of trailer).  I will be inspecting the trailer before delivery and will pay you AFTER the deficiencies are fixed. If this is agreeable I am ready to give you a deposit today and start the paperwork. This is a yes or no proposition as I feel my number is fair. If the answer is no I intend to leave immediately.

So if he says yes stay if no then leave. If you offer was fair he will call you.
Now when the paperwork comes there will be mistakes on it. This is to get you talking and negotiating. Look the paperwork over and make sure the numbers are correct. Make sure the contract states final payment due after deficiencies are fixed.
I looked at the pictures the dealer posted and noticed snow on the ground in the background. He has been sitting on this for a long time if this is the unit. Useful info for your  pricing

I doubt if anybody here disagrees with the idea that you can make an offer or negotiate.  The question is whether the NADA RV Guide provides a meaningful estimate of a "fair price".

I have not negotiated in years. When you negotiate with a dealer you  will lose every time. They have more experience and know all the tricks . There is no one in a dealership that is your friend specially the salesman. You are a way for him to feed his family and they want ChateauBriand, you on the other hand want them to eat Hamburg.
With my method you never have buyers remorse because you always paid exactly what you wanted for the rig
I bought the following with my method
My motor home
My fiver
a Hyundai Accent
2 Chrysler products

The only dealer that ever let me leave was the Hyundai dealer and he called the next day. He wanted me to come back. I said no. I told him to FAX me the Purchase offer and I would sign it and send it back notarized. I did that and all was good till we showed up for delivery. He did not immediately try to finish the deal on the car for my wife so I knew something was up. I told my wife that the dealer was going to try and raise the price. Sure enough the dealer stated he  made a mistake and the rebate was misapplied it would cost $2000.00 more. I asked for my deposit back. The salesman looked at my wife and asked her if she was going to let me get away with not buying her the car. She said she was prepared to walk and the salesman caved in as he had to.  The dealer was HUGE ( ;)  )
So my advice was to I go in with a firm price THEY WERE WILLING TO PAY (the book means diddly squat) for the unit they are  buying and make the offer as I stated.
Secondly the snow is an important factor as that means the dealer has been floor planning that rig for a while now and may be primed to move it.

We just brought home the camper yesterday and we are really happy with it.  We did do alot of searching and investigating prior to deciding to buy.  We had the smaller pop up but moving to something less cumbersome, was what we wanted.  It was a natural 'evolution' I think LOL

Thank you again for all your advise.  :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom