Nail popping up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

Can any of you advise what to do with this nail that is coming up under the flooring?  I am afraid it is going to pop through.  Or if we hit it with a hammer it might tear the vinyl flooring.  Advice needed!  Thanks! See photo attached.

Attachments

• 69FBF6B5-8C03-4439-901C-75679ED5B821.jpeg
    69FBF6B5-8C03-4439-901C-75679ED5B821.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 72
I'd take a very small nail set and a hammer to drive back down. Then find a closely matching colored caulking and fill the hole.

ChasA said:
I'd take a very small nail set and a hammer to drive back down. Then find a closely matching colored caulking and fill the hole.

Expanding on this idea, I'd use a very sharp Exacto/razor knife and cut a short (perhaps 1/2") slit centered over the nail. You can then gently spread the slit open. I would then attempt to pull the nail, because if it popped up once it will do it again. Pull the nail, find a flush wood screw the same length and with threads slightly larger than the nail, and set the screw. Then put a small amount of construction adhesive through the slit and gently push the tile back down so the slit comes back together. I think if it all goes well would be nearly invisible. If there is any gap in the tile you could use caulking as ChasA suggested

What Scott said. Guys that do vinyl floors slit and bond them back together all the time. When they get done, the repair is usually invisible. When the flooring in my kitchen was done a few years ago, underneath the vinyl, there was a screw about 3/4" long that fell out of one of the guys shirt pocket. They had to slit and bond to remove it. I was pretty upset, but I was assured (in writing) that I would never find the place they worked on. I know where it was, and I can't find it with the naked eye. Talk to a flooring installer, one of them could probably fix you up for buying them lunch.

Utclmjmpr said:
Use a piece of oak or other hardwood,, lay across the nail and hammer it down.>>>Dan

Then in a few weeks do it again and eventually, they'll be a hole in the flooring.
I would go along with cutting a small slit then remove the nail then re-cement the slit.

It could be a screw, and if so don't hit it.  We have the same issue in our bathroom and the OH was going to do what Scott suggested but has not done so here.

jackiemac said:
It could be a screw, and if so don't hit it.  We have the same issue in our bathroom and the OH was going to do what Scott suggested but has not done so here.

I believe that a screw is more likely than a nail.  My son had a lump like that and he was able to see the screw from the bottom and crank it back down from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom