Nascar races...Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Ok,  I've noticed several forum members like/love Nascar races.  Can someone fill me in on what it is you like about them.  What's the draw?

We attended the Indy 500 when we in high school; but it was just an excuse to sleep in the car with your boyfriend at that time. <raising my eyebrows...>

So, what is it that people like so much?  All I can think about it is that it's loud and smelly.    ;D

Marsha~

Marsha,
the only way you will ever get it...is to go to one. If you are in the stands close to the start finish line when they drop the green flag, it is (in my mind) like  standing beside a rocket at lift off, the air blows by you soo hard that your hat, shirt feel like they will be blown to the next county.  Now to watch it on tv you have to be into statagy thinking, to see a guy come from the back of the pack, make the right pit calls or adjustments and win a race is kinda something to marvel at...but he that's just me..I like drag racing, moto gp, and just about another form of motor sports racing there is..lol

While I enjoy watching a Nascar race I prefer to watch from the comfort on my home watching on TV.  If it gets too noisy I turn the volume down.

I can understand folks that enjoy it but being there at a race is just not for us.

Marsha/CA said:
Ok,  I've noticed several forum members like/love Nascar races.  Can someone fill me in on what it is you like about them.   What's the draw?

I'm so glad you asked this question because I, too, want to learn more about the attraction to Nascar races.  I'm an inveterate sports fan, and have been known to say that if two people were playing tiddliewinks, I would watch and root for one side or the other.  (That may be an exageration. :D)  Well, maybe not ...  :D 

BUT, I have often wished I could get into the spirit of viewing and rooting for Nascar, because so many of my very good friends enjoy it so much and I think I would enjoy watching it, too, if I only would learn more about it.

Margi

Just being there especially by the start finish line when there are 43 cars  coming down at close to 200mph bumper to bumper for the start sends chills down your back. you get to know the drivers and root for your favorite. these drivers are driving at these speeds for 3or 4 hrs. in cars at temps way over 100 degrees. with no AC.  why do people go to football and baseball games. for the excitement of being there.

Nascar fans are just like any other fans.  The same could be asked "why football, basketball, golf, horse races, or bull riding, and etc.  It is what individuals enjoy.  I enjoy bull riding.  Back to personal choices again.

NASCAR almost caught my attention when some of the drivers started having fist fights, just like the REAL SPORT Hockey, but for some reason the fights stopped, and I lost interest.  I did enjoy it when I was younger and built race cars, but it soon became a real drain on the pocket book.

What some people find to be thrilling, others find to be boring. I never really found  much to interest me in auto racing, and I've tried them all: drag strip, Nascar, Grand Prix road racing and even went to the 24 hour race at Lemans.  The sheer spectacle of a big race is a site to behold, but I never wanted to go back to any of them.  Never cared much for basketball either.  Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

And one can appreciate the skills involved in a sport without being a fan...

Now that I live in the south, (some would disagree that FL is southern state), Nascar fans are everywhere!!!  I still don't get it.  I even have connections to two teams, sold a MH to an owner, and work with a team family member who goes to every race.  Still can't really watch.  Maybe the last couple laps, but kind of like my football watching, last quarter of a game, or potrions of playoffs and super bowl.  (more for the food)

The infield with an RV and all the party atmosphere does have some appeal however. 

It probably helps to have a favorite, gives you some focus.

All of what Kevin said is true for me.  I add in that if you go to races with the same folks each year it is a social event.  I like wearing the headphones and listening to the talk in the pits or listening to the driver.  I marvel at the driver skills and I secretly yearn to drive that fast around those curves with no chance of  getting a traffic ticket.  I like the hotdogs and beer in the stands.  I  like the turkey legs.  I  like the fans most of whom are really really fun and a bit crazy. 
I love the  sounds of the start and the roar.  I love the fleeting smell of fuel burning as the cars whiz past.  I  have favorite drivers and that helps when you have  some loyalty to a particular car.  I like the vendors and the stuff they sell. I love to watch the  women drivers make headway into the sport.  I like practice.  I like qualifying.

I like my same very good season ticket seats in the Richard Petty section just on turn one of  LasVegas Motor Speedway.  I like finding a new restaurant in Las Vegas when we go.  Like the little Thai place we found in a strip mall filled with massage parlors???? ( We did not know this prior to our reservation) The food was superb.

So  Marsha, Nascar is much more than an auto race.  It is an event, a happening. It is competitive.  It is filled with  life styles of rich and famous but the little guy can go and see the same race.  Oh boy now you have me anxious to see the next race we attend end of Feb 09.

I have been to several NASCAR races and enjoyed them.  I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience at ATL  a few years ago and that put an entire different perspective and understanding of what the drivers were experiencing.  I was on the track by myself and tried to imagine being in a pack at those speeds.  Unreal!!

Our friends have infield parking spaces and enjoy the heck out of it.  I think I could totally get into the party/tailgate part of NASCAR, but as for watching cars go in a circle for days, I just don't get it.  "Hey, that was a great left turn you made on the 4th time around!"  ::)

Now I think driving those fast cars would be a blast!

Tom

Jerry and Ardra worked the corner at Road America which is not the same as NASCAR.  However, they also went to Indy on that same trip.

Jerry and Ardra worked the corner at Road America which is not the same as NASCAR.

Thanks Lorna. I thought that's what I said, or at least what I tried to say.

cuts_up said:
Our friends have infield parking spaces and enjoy the heck out of it.  I think I could totally get into the party/tailgate part of NASCAR, but as for watching cars go in a circle for days, I just don't get it.  "Hey, that was a great left turn you made on the 4th time around!"  ::)

Now I think driving those fast cars would be a blast!
I used to think the samething years ago, I said I think that going around in circles is stupid, then they asked do you like drag racing..I said yea. and they said so going in a straight line for a few seconds is ok...made me thank, then I tried a race, was hooked after I saw Mark Martin  I was hooked for life.

Like many others.  my friends were fans and I was the one looking at them and laughing. I was told to pick a driver and watch what he does. I looked and picked dale jarret as the driver to watch and cheer for. It was back around 1997 . He started to win alot of races so I lucked out and picked a good driver . Know I have been to many races and differnt tracks.
I don't like the big tracks as much as 3/4  or 1/2 mile tracks. Find what you like and then go to a race you will not be disapponted you did. .  Just my two cents worth

Yea, what Betty said !!

I grew up going to the races, not just Nascar but also Sprints and Indy cars and lots more. And I love it....the noise, the smell, the crowds.  But I have no idea how to explain it to people who don't get it. I think it's one of those things that you love or you don't. We have friends who don't get the RVing lifestyle if you can imagine such a thing !!

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom