Natchez Trace / Blue Ridge Parkway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

We're thinking about catching the Trace when we start making our way back to Upstate NY from Texarkana, in early April. Drove almost the whole length of that road a couple years back. Great, relaxing drive. .
Someone mentioned that the Blue Ridge Parkway is another very scenic drive. I know nothing of that route but after a few quick searches it doesn't look that "RV friendly" to me. Especially with a class A and toad. Appreciate any advice/comments.

For a large class A, the southern portion of the BRP is not at all friendly. I have been on all of the parkway from Ashville south to Cherokee at the southern end and most of the parkway north of Ashville up to Linville Falls.

The two or three of the tunnels south of Ashville (actually those from US 19 to the south end, are the lowest, and while tall in the middle the height at the edge lines are not great, combined with the fact that the tunnels are not straight and you cannot see from one end to the other.

Tunnels - Blue Ridge Parkway

The first nine tunnels on the list are north of Ashville and the remainder are south of Ashville.

The roadbed of the BRP is only 20 ft wide (10 ft lanes) vs the standard 24 ft roads found most places and while many of the pull offs are large, they can get rather packed in the busy season, making pulling off in a large Class A difficult. Also, there is not real suitable camping on the parkway for large Class A's, with the possible exception of Julian Price Campground

I would encourage you to pick locations near the parkway and use the toad to drive sections of it and then leapfrog up the countryside. Where the parkway ends on the north end at I-64, the Shenandoah Skyline Dr continues for another 100 miles to Front Royal, VA at I-66.

To me, the most scenic section of the BRP that I have seen is the southern section, largely due to the elevation.

If you have not been to Biltmore (and I have not yet) this would be a good time to, as the parkway passes very close to it. Also the The North Carolina Arboretum, is adjacent to the parkway (we spent an afternoon there) and its entrance is adjacent to one of the BRP interchanges, right at the French Broad River in Ashville, again, very close to Biltmore.

Crabtree Falls, Linville Falls from well above it, view from Mile High Campground just off the parkway, Highest point pull off, Mingo Falls at Cherokee, Soco Falls on US19 near the parkway interchange. (both Soco falls and Mingo falls are on Cherokee tribal land), last two self explanatory.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_140552875_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220519_140552875_HDR.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220518_121511136_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220518_121511136_HDR.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 2
  • View from campsite.jpg
    View from campsite.jpg
    832.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Blue Ridge Parkway highest point.jpg
    Blue Ridge Parkway highest point.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Mingo Falls.jpg
    Mingo Falls.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 1
  • soco falls.jpg
    soco falls.jpg
    901.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220519_151526649.jpg
    IMG_20220519_151526649.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220519_123202500_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220519_123202500_HDR.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just a word of caution about the Biltmore House near Ashville, NC: If you plan to visit it will cost you. Everyone has their own tastes and their own opinion on what is most important to spend their money one, but this is one of those tourist attractions that you might want to investigate before just arriving at the front door and hoping to get in cheap.

From the Biltmore House website:

January 9–March 31​

Biltmore House admission starts at $69.
Gardens & Grounds admission is also available, which does NOT include Biltmore House entry.

April 1–May 25​

Biltmore House admission starts at $89.
Gardens & Grounds admission
is also available, which does NOT include Biltmore House entry.

May 26–September 30​

Biltmore House admission starts at $79.
Gardens & Grounds admission
is also available, which does NOT include Biltmore House entry.

Click here for more information.

Remember, these prices are for only 1 person admission.
Youth ages 10-16 receive discounted admission. Kids 9 and under are free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom