need a little help (Ford F150 V6)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooper1969

i have a f150 with the 2.7 v6 and a 355 rear end i have a tt that weighs 5886 and my truck max load is 7600 will this be ok for towing i also have sway and load hitch just need some advice thanks

Welcome to the RV Forum Cooper,

You will find a sticker on the door jam that shows Max cargo capacity for your truck. That will be needed first.
The weight of the TT you listed.... Is that net weight of the trailer or gross. weight?
Maybe a little more information will help.

At this point I'm guessing that you will be at the edge of your towing capacity and it won't be much much to towing.

I'm sorry I'm new to this i have a crew cab 4x4 145 wheel base gvwr is 6600 and the tt is uvw 5720 gvwr is 7600

You need to get the loaded trailer weight - you surely aren't towing it empty. Best to assume the trailer is loaded to its max - the trailer GVWR until you can prove otherwise.

You also need the truck's max tow rating. If you don't have that nmber in the truck's data placard, it can be looked up in the Ford Towing Guide for your year/model/engine/etc configuration. All the Ford Tow Guides can be found at https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Towing is only part of the equation in the b pillar drivers side you will see a yellow/white decal that will state " passengers and cargo must not exceed xxxxlbs" what is that number

Towing is only part of the equation in the b pillar drivers side you will see a yellow/white decal that will state " passengers and cargo must not exceed xxxxlbs" what is that number
the number is 1588 but i won't have any passengers

Guys on the F150 Forum say they do it with what you are reporting. I have the 3.5 ecoboost, max tow, 1760 payload, and personally that is at the very far edge of what I would do. Certainly get a good WDH, minimum a Equali-zer 4 point system. You didn't say how long the trailer was? If it was over 25', I wouldn't do it. More variables than simple can I tow it.

That 1588 is YOUR baseline on THAT truck,every truck varies based on options
So your trailer has a grwr of 7600 10% is 760 15% is 1140lbs your pin weight on the trailer hitch will weight between those numbers. So lets pick 900lbs that would leave you 688lbs of cargo which is firewood tool box passengers hitch and every lb your over 150lbs
You really dont want to be over 1250lbs MAX as you will be rideing in your bump stops and your front end will float giving you a lack of steering and brakes

Guys on the F150 Forum say they do it with what you are reporting. I have the 3.5 ecoboost, max tow, 1760 payload, and personally that is at the very far edge of what I would do. Certainly get a good WDH, minimum a Equali-zer 4 point system. You didn't say how long the trailer was? If it was over 25', I wouldn't do it. More variables than simple can I tow it.
I'm sorry it is 28 foot and i got a good weight and sway bar hitch. I'm just trying top be safe and don't understand this stuff. i will check and see what type of hitch i have.

That's an awful lot of trailer for your truck. Sounds like you own the truck and trailer already? If not, I'd highly reconsider, hope a RV salesperson didn't lead you to believe everything would be fine?

That's an awful lot of trailer for your truck. Sounds like you own the truck and trailer already? If not, I'd highly reconsider, hope a RV salesperson didn't lead you to believe everything would be fine?
i do own it he told me that my truck could handle it i tried to do homework but got overwhelming and tried to listen to someone that knows more than me does it help that its a ultra lite and i will be parking it 30 miles from my house

If you are talking about local camping you "might" be okay. But I would consider upgrading the truck.
Keep in mind the trailer is going to act like a big sail when going down the road. If you are stuck with what you have for now, Then be very careful.

One other thing know and understand your WD/Anti sway hitch. I have seen a lot of them that were not set up correctly and that's more dangerous that not having one. If the dealer is installing it for you double check EVERYTHING. Just because they do it for a living does not mean it's right. Read the manual that comes with the hitch. Watch You videos. It's important to know when somethings not working as it should.
Best of luck

i will be parking it 30 miles from my house
How often will you drive pulling that trailer? If it is spring and fall only, keep your speeds down, you should be ok. Evan go as far as a separate trip to carry the bulk of your added weight, all your gear, it's only 30 miles. Dealer should not let you leave the lot with unsafe conditions, point blank ASK them.

I think the key point here is that you will be towing at your truck's max limits. It should be OK if you drive cautiously and also try to keep the loaded weight down. However, if you run into a situation where you need to swerve or brake suddenly, you may find things going out of control. Fewer trips and a short distance reduce the probability of running into something like that doesn't rule it out. You are clearly inexperienced with towing, so be very careful as you learn. Your stopping distance is substantially increased and the trailer is capable of literally pushing the back end of the truck around, sideways as well as forward.

Definitely re-adjust the weight distributing hitch once you have loaded the trailer with your usual stuff. The hitch manual will have detailed instructions. It will be available online if the dealer didn't give it to you at delivery time.

For future reference: RV sales people are seldom experts in RVs or towing. They are not your friend; their job is to get you to buy an RV and will tell you whatever will convince you to do that.

Allow me to repeat Steve's comments in different words.

That 1588# is the most weight YOUR truck is designed to carry based on factory installed equipment. That number assumes a full fuel tank and NOTHING ELSE in the truck. Let's work from here.

As Steve said, your hitch wt must be over 10% of actual TT weight. More is better, so let's assume 900# hitch wt. That leaves 688#. Deduct 88# for the WD hitch, leaving 600#.
The weight of everything else in the truck can not exceed 600#. This includes passengers, car seats, dogs, tools, firewood, toys, your DW purse, etc.

IF you pack carefully and leave stuff at home, it can be doable, but you will be near capacity.

The WD hitch and sway control are really needed, but they Distribute the Weight more evenly between the front and rear axles. They do not remove weight from the truck to increase capacity. They keep headlights properly aimed and the steer axle on the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom