Need a multimeter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

Northern tool has what appears to be a decent multimeter on sale at 1/2 off. Act fast, the sale ends soon. I'm not affiliated with Northern, just trying to pass on a good deal.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640593_200640593?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=061416_2DayFD&utm_campaign=061416_eDeals&utm_content=P5&[email protected]&STATE=DE&HOT_MEM_CODE=H7&MARKETCODE=&om_rid=AAULP4&om_mid=_BXX--YB9Onw0c$

Looks like a pretty decent little multimeter that would work well for campground power checks.  I have a similar one that I purchased from Walmart for around $15 some years back.  It died once and the manufacturer since me a new one at no charge.  I always keep receipts for stuff (even cheap stuff) that has a stated warranty on the package.

I also have a similar VOM bought at Walmart. Don't remember what I paid for it but I know it was more than $15.00. I think it was around $25-30. Works fine. I just put a new battery in it every year.
I'm not sure I would call the linked one a "decent" unit, but for household use it should be OK. At that price, it's not going to break the bank if it craps out on you or isn't as accurate as you want it to be. Should be fine for quick references or for "go-no go" type checks.
If you're looking for a dependable, reputable, and a more accurate VOM, then start looking for a little better quality. If you are not expecting that much out of the unit, go for it.

It's really your call.

I think the best multimeter to get is one with a clamp on ac/DC amp meter most meters with amp meters are ac only.    This allows you to check amp draw on your batteries.  Also showed if amps are going in or out.    Mine is from sears

Looks to be a reasonable, expendable instrument but because of limited resolution (only 1 digit to the right of the decimal at 12 volts) not optimal for accurate state of battery judgement and power trouble shooting.

Phil

It's amazing.  A lot of folks here tell other folks they should get a cheap meter from Harbor Freight or somewhere, so I post a deal on an inexpensive meter and get a lot of posts knocking the meter. No, it doesn't compare to either of my Fluke meters, but has the capability to help most people troubleshoot basic issues. I guess now now, the only meter we should recommend is a $400+ meter to check power at outlets.  :(

Thanks for the tip! It is appreciated.

I have a good meter at home, but in the trailer drawer I always keep one of the free Harbor Freight multimeters. It's come in handy lots of times, and if I run into somebody that really in a bind, I can just give it to them and get another freebie when I get the coupon.

Me too. I have 3-4 of the cheap/free HF multimeters. They work decently for routine stuff and I can always have one handy. I have a good one too, but rarely ever need it.

i HAVE a collection rangint from "Free with coupon and another purchase" (Horrible Freight) to around 250 Dollars except I bought 'em on sale.. The more expensive meters are professional grade hardware.. But than I am a ham radio operator by hobby and electronics tech by training.. We like good hardware.

What do I use most.. 10 bucks at Harbor Freight.

It's all a matter of opinion. What you may be looking for to answer the question can be answered many ways when put to the public.

For example,
A Harbor Freight tool may fit the bill. Depends on what the OP wants.
If precise measurements, Harbor Freight is not place to buy precision instruments

The buyer needs to decide if price vs. quality makes any difference to them.
Not brain surgery. 

I would not recommend a Harbor Freight meter for anything that involves anything close to line voltage or measuring current draw for an RV. 
There is no protection circuits for over current or over voltage in those cheap meters.
Meltdown or blow apart in your hand possible if you measure current wrong.

psouza said:
Looks to be a reasonable, expendable instrument but because of limited resolution (only 1 digit to the right of the decimal at 12 volts) not optimal for accurate state of battery judgement and power trouble shooting.

Actually, there's 2 digits to the right of the decimal point at 12 volts.

The scale ranges are 2, 20, 200 and 600 volts which means 12 volt measurements would display on the 20 volt range, which is actually up to 19.99 volts.

Same thing when measuring 120 volts - you'll get 1 digit to the right of the decimal point.

Most meters are this way, it's known as a 3 1/2 digit display.

It should work fine for almost anything you'll encounter around an RV except for high current measurements that are better taken using a current clamp.  But then again, a clamp-on meter doesn't have the accuracy or resolution needed for low current measurements.

kdbgoat said:
It's amazing.  A lot of folks here tell other folks they should get a cheap meter from Harbor Freight or somewhere, so I post a deal on an inexpensive meter and get a lot of posts knocking the meter. No, it doesn't compare to either of my Fluke meters, but has the capability to help most people troubleshoot basic issues. I guess now now, the only meter we should recommend is a $400+ meter to check power at outlets.  :(

You'll be happy to know that I placed an order the day you posted the link. Backup to my 30 year old Radio Shack analog

It's amazing.  A lot of folks here tell other folks they should get a cheap meter from Harbor Freight or somewhere, so I post a deal on an inexpensive meter and get a lot of posts knocking the meter.

No good deed will go unpunished!  ::)

kdbgoat said:

With as many people as we have reading this forum if you post info on how to get free oatmeal cookies shipped to your door someone will complain that they don't have raisins in them.

"You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself" Ricky Nelson, Garden Party.

I think is always good to let people know the cheap Harbor Freight or other meters have no circuit protection and can blow up in your hand if used incorrectly to measure high current or high voltage and let them make their own decision. Even more important with someone that has no experience using a meter.

Same as warning someone about the cheap tires that came on their TT.  Absolutely no difference.  They can still make their own decision about using them or getting better quality replacements.

Back
Top Bottom