Need advice about title, registration, taxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DianneJD

I am purchasing a 2020 Keystone Retreat that is at a campground in Michigan. I live in Ohio, but I plan on using the RV at the campground where it is in Michigan and not traveling with it. My question is do I have to title and register it and pay taxes in my home state of Ohio or can I do all of that in Michigan where it is currently titled?

Your title, taxes, and registrations should be done in whatever state is your resident state - unless a student or military on a temporary stay. This is also referred to as your legal domicile state. Be aware that states will consider you a resident after 30 or 60 days (or?) living there (ie not traveling) and will expect you to title and register vehicles, get driver's license, etc. Some people get caught parking vehicles long-term without proper state plates, some people don't.

Google "state residency" for your states of interest for specific definitions.

Linda

I live in Pennsylvania and I bought my MH in Ohio and keep it in Ohio because that's where i use it mostly for Boondocking .

Now I have it registered at my domicile with Pa plates and inspection . I haven't had a problem yet .

If you are not going to move it, why register it.
Because all motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, RVs, etc. are required to be titled and registered even if they are just parked (not in a junkyard). They don't have to be moving to be subject to State laws -- at least in all the states I'm familiar with. Is New York different?

I have a trailer that is permanent with a huge FL room attached in FL and the CG requires that I register it. So it must be a FL law.
I stay in it for 6/7 months during the winter and no one has ever said anything about getting a FL license.

Because all motor vehicles, trailers, motorcycles, RVs, etc. are required to be titled and registered even if they are just parked (not in a junkyard). They don't have to be moving to be subject to State laws -- at least in all the states I'm familiar with. Is New York different?
I don't know about Ohio but here in New Hampshire you can be titled without any requirement of registration. You can own the vehicle (title) and as long as you are not operating it (includes pulling a trailer) on a public road there is no requirement to register it.

Most RV parks will require current registration on a rig, even if it's permanently parked. Probably to do with insurance and state motor vehicle laws. You can probably keep it in your back yard without registration, but not at a public RV park.

You need to check Michigan law, but most states will allow an out-of-state owner to title & register a vehicle in that state if the vehicle is predominantly kept there. Ohio won't care if the vehicle never comes to Ohio, but are you sure that will always be the case? Circumstances may change and you want to travel or move the RV elsewhere.

You must have a vehicle title to formally establish ownership. A tag registration may or may not be required depending on where it is kept. Vehicles kept permanently off-road in private storage locations are generally exempt from the need for registration tags. Seasonal or year-around campgrounds usually qualify for that, but check with Michigan DMV authorities. And also the park management, which may have their own requirements.

Some states will charge you a personal property tax if the rig is Permanently on a site and registered in another state. For example Arizona is one of the states where the local assessor come through every so often and assesses them. In New York where I used to keep a travel trailer unlicensed we were assessed each year if the rig was PERMANENTLY on the site. Register where you keep it it will save you hassles

The key take-away here is that you have to learn the vehicle and tax laws that apply in Michigan. What happens in Arizona or NY is irrelevant. Ohio law may also apply if the RV is ever brought to the OP's Ohio home, but generally does not if always out of state.

Yes, different - NY State does not require registration if not being driven. BUT - there are local codes, in places, that require it, even if parked on private property.
You need to check, state-wide and locally. Title in your name would be prudent.

Dianne,
As far as I know (as a resident) trailers do not need to be titled in Michigan and they do not need to be registered if you are not going to move it over public roads. If the prior owner signs off a title, take it to a Michigan Secretary of State office and ask that they transfer it. They may not. They will want your money (they always do) to register it, but just refuse and tell them maybe later.
Matt

Jackie,
Yes, but you will have to talk to a knowledgeable agent. Anything can be insured. Just what you want to insure against is most of the issue. You clearly will not need collision.
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom