Need advice on Allegro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

oldcurios

Hi ya'll.

I've been lurking this forum for quite a while and it has been SO helpful.  Ya'll are great!

We are first-timers-to-be in an RV.  After reviewing on the internet for months and months and looking at new rigs, we think we want a smaller class c rig as our "test the waters" RV.

We are going to look at a 95 Allegro Bay Class C tomorrow.  Allegro seems to have a pretty good rep from what we've read.
But I haven't seen many comments on the Class C rig.  And who knows what I HAVEN'T read!

Is 95 (approx 40K miles) too old a rig to consider?

Are there any specific problems to look for in an older rig?

Any help/ opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks ya'll!

Chuck&Ann

Hi Chuck & Ann. There's a checklist or two in the library that might be good reading before you go to see the Allegro Class C tomorrow. Click the Library button above and select Checklists.

Thanks Tom!  Didn't even know the library was there.  How very helpful!  I'm off to hand the list to Dear Hubby now...:)

ann

You're welcome Ann. Hopefully, someone will be along soon to more directly answer your original question.

Chuck and Ann? ? By no means am I an expert but have been RVing in the past several decades and been a MH owner for much of that time, having owned many units.? As of now we have a 98 Pace Arrow with about 29K miles on it.? So a 95 with 40 some K miles on it, is just about the standard? mileage? for a unit like that.? Besides? Mileage is only a number and it depends on how the unit was used and maintained.? ?That's about all you can go by other than checking it out thoroughly and test driving.? To me, and I only speak for me, it's the gut feeling and wheather or not it suits you and your spouse and for price you can check all the price books , but the final decision is up to you and the seller.? When two people agree then that's a deal that is only known to the two of you.? If you think you are paying too much you can walk away and wait for a possible better deal, either on that one or another unit.? Much of the trust between buyer and seller comes in the presale and attentivew listening.? If you already know the answers given by the seller you can always rephrase the questions to make it more difficult to answer.? ?Many times a good trap will be the best clue.? ?Also make sure this unit is completely explained in regards to genset, batteries, inverter, converter, A/C,? engine and any and everything you can think of.? ?That's my take and only my take.? Good luck and don't be afraid to ask, even here, or walk from a deal should you not be satisfied.? ?

Chuck and Ann,

I currently own a 1998 Allegro Class A and previously owned a 1982 Allegro Class A but have never owned the Allegro Class C.  I can tell you that both of the Allegro's that I owned have been good coaches and I don't see why the Class C would be any different as far as quality.  Of course it is on a different chassis (a van rather than a truck) but I think Allegro's in general are good coaches.  Allegro is also very helpful if you need service, even if you buy your unit used.  It is a family owned manufacturer and they seem to take pride in building good products and providing good customer service and satisfaction.  If you are ever in the Red Bay Alabama area, take the factory tour.  Good luck.

Dan

The only problem with an older RV is that, well, it's old. In particular, rubber things die of old age rather than wear. That's belt drives on the engine, tires, rubber hoses in the cooling system, and sometimes the seals that keep various fluids where they are supposed to be. Typically these things don't get replaced unless they break, so be prepared for some breakage. If you want to avoid problems on the road, get all the belts and hoses replaced  before you make any trips.

Tires on a 12 year old coach are probably due for replacement the second time around.  Tires have a useful life of 6.5-7.0 years, regardless of tread wear or apparent condition.  History has shown they will fail catastrophcally soon after their 7th anniversary, so best not to push your luck.  Age is based on the DOT manufacturing date code stamped on the sidewalls - not on the date they were purchased. Aging occurs even while in the manufacturer's warehouse.

Thanks to all of you!  We took all of your advice when we went to look at the Allegro.  DH brought a satchel full of tools and checked out the engine  (he said it was VERY well taken care of - the engine purred). 

The tires had recently been replaced (whew!). 

All the interior hardware etc were in great shape, the refrigerator was COLD, 

There had been a small leak in the overhead cab that was repaired.  It was totally dry there and around all the windows/ skylights, doors.

Tom - we took the library LIST and checked it all out.  thanks - it was a huge help.

So, we ended up buying it.  (OMG)  The size is a bit smaller than I think we eventually need, but pretty scary enough to drive for a first RV.

We are going to take it in for a complete engine/tire checkuip next week and make sure everything is up to snuff (including all the rubber and seals- thanks RVRoamer!).

We had an absolute deluge that lasted for at least 7 hours the day after we bought it;  we checked the RV afterwards - no leaks.  Which is much better luck than our water heater bursting in our lake house the same day and flooding three rooms - but that's a different story...

Dan, great suggestion.  Since it is not too terribly far we decided to visit Red Bay for a factory tour.  We need all the education we can get!

And thanks for the advice and insight Shayne - it really helped.

We are already planning our first trip (to be scheduled after we have it cleaned, checked out and stocked with Stuff) and I can't wait!

Thanks again and see ya on the boards...

ann and chuck

Congratulations. I have been following your adventure. I for one, would like to hear what you do to get it ready to put the rubber on the road. Then, I'd like to hear how it does as you break everything in, for real. Hope to hear more.

Thanks

Ray D

Ann and chuck, congratulations on the purchase! Glad to hear you were able to put to good use some of the advice shared by folks here.

Ann and Chuck,

Congratulations on the purchase of the motor home.  I think you will be pleased with it and I hope you have many years of good times with it.  Glad you are planning to tour the Allegro factory.  Make the trip in your coach and talk to them about it and ask them many questions.  Tell them about any problems or concerns.  They will be very friendly and helpful.  Again, congratulations, and let us hear about some of your adventures!

Dan

Congratulations on the Allegro.  I'm sure you will have many enjoyable trips in it.  Also glad we were able to answer questions and information here was helpful.

Congrats on the Purchase of the Allegro and always remember that if anything goes wrong its always Toms 's fault for allowing us the voice our opinions here.  Cause we sure don't want to take the blame  Only kidding    Enjoy the heck out of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom