Need advice on best tow vehicle purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes there are a few exceptions in any vehicle.  But when you see hundreds  Yes hundreds of people bring there unit back and say, you should have warned us about the inability of these units to do the job.  Then you you can make statements like that.   Towing in not driving 100K  its TOWING   big difference.  We sold them and heard it many many times.  Yeah it will possibly work, but is it feasible.  The answer is still NO
As for the Salesman part  I got out of the business when I got fed up with people that don't listen to reasoning of common sense  but then some peopoe just have to find out for themselves and no matter what they are told won't listen.

A half ton will tow smaller trailers nicely - most of them are good up to around 5000-6000 lbs ot gross trailer weight. The problems come when the owners assume, because they have a TRUCK, that they can tow anything. And that happens regularly. Heck, we see it here 3-4 times a week.

Gary  You sure have a lot more tact than I.  Mine is None.  You are right.  I've always told them, if you can tow it safely with a car, then you can tow it with a halfer.  Doesn't mean a halfer is a truck.  It definitely isn't  It's really a pleasure vehicle with a truck body.  Motor, tranny, and rear end, is the same as pleasure cars with the little higher rear end ratio.  Pick up TRUCKS start with 3/4 tons.

Gary, I agree that some folks over rate their vehicles and that happens whether it is a truck,  or an Type A RV.  But when someone asks for advice on tow vehicles, wouldn't they be better served if comments were factual and offered data instead of a generalization that a specific vehicle is unfit for towing anything?  And I totally disagree that a 1/2 ton truck is a pleasure vehicle with a truck body.  But again, that is just another unfortunate generalization.

The problem is the manufacture ads and the salesman that tell you that if you can hook it up you can pull it. Have you notice the GM or Ford adds lately?  Problem is if you exceed the weight ratings for the truck (1/2 ton or what ever) then you are driving illegal and are subject to serious liability exposure if in an accident.  IMHO those that try pulling more than their truck is rated obviously their elevator doesn't go all the way to the top. ;D

My half ton pulls my lightweight trailer pretty darn well.  5100 lbs., 30 ft in length, towed by 345 HP/365 lb. ft. of torque output.  More than many 3/4 ton trucks sporting a 350 ci....

When I unhitch, I have a very pleasurable street truck, with plenty of acceleration, a great ride, and sporty looks.  While it's not the workhorse that a 3/4 ton diesel is, it is quite sufficient for my needs, and a great middle of the road compromise.  I feel I get the best of both worlds.  Additionally, not all new half tons are created equal...check the specs.

Oh...it can also haul hay...so it must really really be a truck.   ;D

...and another thing...

Most of what is read in this post is opinion.  Some offer theirs from their own personal experience, some from experience working within the industry.

Seems to me that what is needed here is some real factual information, rather than opinion.  Take the Dodge Ram for example.  I'll bet many of us would have our eyes opened if a Dodge Rep was located who provided factual specifications on the difference between a 1500 and 2500 Dodge Ram with a 5.7 Hemi, and described exactly the performance and towing limitations for each, and the limiting drive train/suspension component used to calculate that limitation.

<Everyone in here has given the reasons not too but if you are that determined to defy logic,  go ahead and use the halfer and pay the consequences.  Many of us have been there and done that.>    Seems you are determined to do what you want, so why did you ask in the first place?  Do what you got to do, just be careful the life you take may be someone other than yours.  If you want to put your family through a crisis as such, please drive where others don't.  All the publications in the world can't take the place of common sense, no matter whose specs you quote or list.

I don't think a rep is necessary all one has to do is look at the vehicle ratings for any given truck and not exceed the rating posted in the truck regardless of make or model.

Shayne,

I asked, initially, for perspective.  For information.  For guidance.

I gained that guidance by some obviously educated, well informed, and articulate folks herein which provided factual information allowing for an informed decision.

I calculated the limitations with the information provided by these well informed folks, and then made decisions allowing for 20+ % margin of safety as recommended.   

Along the way, no blanket statements or fear-mongers were considered.

I'm good.

But when someone asks for advice on tow vehicles, wouldn't they be better served if comments were factual and offered data instead of a generalization that a specific vehicle is unfit for towing anything?

Of course, and I hope I have not ever been guilty of a gross generalization like that.  Feel free to chide me if I do. But this is an open forum and others are free to voice their personal opinions as well.

Many modern half ton trucks are indeed  little more than passenger cars with boxes on the back, but that doesn't make them incapable of towing anything. It does, however, put them at the low end as far as tow vehicles are concerned. Vans (not minivans) and  SUVs  often equal or exceed the tow capability of half ton trucks. That's why Carl & I are numbers guys - we preach that you should always go with the numbers and not the type of vehicle, size of engine or whatever. 

Several years ago Ford recognized that most half ton pick-ups were being used as personal vehicles and did only light hauling, maybe carrying yard trash to the dump or by people who needed a higher clearance vehicle than a passenger car or who occasionally carried a bulky object (ladders, portable tools, etc.). Ford cut back on the "truck" aspect of the design and started providing a smoother ride and more amenities and had an instant hit in the market. Others quickly followed suit, resulting in a generation of "pick-up" trucks that are a joy to drive but often (not always) not as capable as the previous generations. Since then,  psuedo-pickups like the Ford Explorer Sportrac have further confused the issue. Previous car owners buy these things and assume that, because it has a box on the back, it can haul anything. But that isn't even close to the truth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom