Need Advice On Ductless Mini Split A/C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmr85

Hello everyone, I need some advice in regards to a project I?m thinking of doing. I want to install a Ductless Mini Split A/C but I don?t know if I will be able to. We currently reside in a 5th wheel that runs on a 30 amp electrical system, and right now the weather down here in South Florida is pretty hot, so hot that my roof A/C is not cooling the place quite enough, besides that, the noise is almost unbearable. So I was thinking of either installing a window A/C that I can connect to an exterior power source or just install a mini split ac. I?ve seen some YouTube DIY where other fellow RV?ers have done so. But yet I?ve only seen them do it on 50 amp RV?s. My question is can we do it? Will a mini split overload our electrical system ( I was thinking between the ranges of 9,000 btu to 12,000 btu), also does it have to be connected directly to the circuit breaker box or can it be plugged into a outlet? (The reason I?m asking about an outlet plug in is because I saw one at Home Depot with a electrical plug.) any ways I think that?s all I have to say for now I would greatly appreciate it if anyone with experience can guide me. Specially for those who have done it on 30 amp systems. But all help will be welcomed!!! Thank you again.

Also one more question how many amps does a mini split run on?

Pmr85 said:
Also one more question how many amps does a mini split run on?

This actually is the most important question, which can be answered by checking the specs of systems you're interested in. You probably have a 13,500 BTU roof AC (although you may have a 15,000). My guess is the mini split will be somewhat more efficient. In south FL now you probably need the equivalent of two roof AC's such as most 50 amp RVs would have, so something on the order of 25,000 BTU of cooling. Or If I'm correct in guessing the mini-split is more efficient, you could guess that a mini-split say in the 15-20,000 BTU area would do the trick. In all likelihood 30 amp service will not support such a unit, but these are all ballpark guesses on my part. Until you get amp draw numbers for units in that range you won't really know. Also, others here with knowledge in this are may be able to give you more specifics.

As Back2PA stated the amp draw is the problem.  I built a tiny house with/for my son and we researched mini split AC systems.  The amp draws are large and we were able to take that into account when putting the electrical system together.  I don't think your 30 amps will be enough. 

I think the easiest solution is a window unit powered by a thick heavy duty (short as possible) extension cord to your exterior power source.

So many other questions come up for mini split.  You need 2 power sources, 1 for the inside unit and 1 for the outside unit?  Where are you going to mount the inside unit?  Size of space on the right wall with space behind to run wiring and coolant lines.  Where are you going to mount the outside unit, with enough clearance for proper air flow?  Will you do the install yourself? if, not have you discussed it with HD to see if they will even install one in a RV? The cost difference is night and day in favor of the window unit.

Just off the top, I'd suggest that you consider a split 50A service. A 50A to 30A adapter simply uses one phase of the 50A service to power the 30A cable to the RV. That would permit a custom adapter (seperately fused) with an outlet for the second phase to power the second air conditioner (this is similar to a standard 50A RV where the two air conditioners are usually on different phases).

The advantage to this approach is you don't have two cords going go the park's post and the consequent arguments about double dipping. The disadvantage is that you'll need a 50A cord in place of the current 30A cord.

ERNIE

Back
Top Bottom