Need Air Compressor Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minnesota Dan

Hi All,

I am looking for recommendations for an air compressor. Ideally, I am looking for a portable air compressor that would run off of a 9v cigarette lighter plug. I would like to use this to (1) fill air bags on the truck, (2) blow out my travel trailer water lines for winterization, and (3) inflate tires. For this, I need a compressor that has the PSI to do the above, has adjustable PSI so that I can set it low for blowing out the trailer water lines, and isn't too expensive.

Thanks in advance for any and all help here!

Roy M

A 9 volt power source? There are lots of small 12V compressors out there that advertise good pressure numbers but you also need volume which will be lacking. Is it for home use or do you want to take it on the road?

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
You need psi for the tires & air bags but lots of CFM (air volume) for the winterizing. Yu need to look at your psi needs for the tires & bags, but probably anything north of 65 is enough. Since psi is easy to engineer, even small 12v compressors can typically handle that. Most are 100 psi or more. CFM (cubic feet per minute) is more expensive to engineer, but you need at least 0.5-1.0 cfm (@ 30-35 psi) for reliable winterizing (I prefer 1.5-2.0). Cheaper 12v models rarely achieve that. Low cfm also makes filling a tire or air bag painfully slow.

Viair makes some excellent 12v compressors. A model 0088 would probably suit your needs nicely. 120 psi and up to 1.47 cfm (at 0 psi - drops quickly as pressure climbs).

This little unit might work. I have no personal experience but the reviews suggest it has decent cfm at 30-40 psi.

Last edited:

Gizmo

Viar is an excellent choice for a portable air compressor, but you are likely going to be into something less portable and more substantial for blowing out your water plumbing - see previous post.

donn

Been thru several 12V compressors. From the 29.99 elcheepos to the 200 high rated ones. They all have one thing in common. Practically zero volume (CFM). Instead of wasting your money go buy a decent 150PSI pancake compressor. Buught one at Lowes several years ago. Loved it so much I got rid of my big home compressor, now I use that excluisevly.

Ernie n Tara

ViAir - another vote here. They're not cheap, but they work well if you really need a 12V compressor. Otherwise, a 115Vac pancake style will likely be preferred.
As noted above, pay attention to the specifications.

Ernie

Mark_K5LXP

My shop compressor is rated like 5CFM at 90PSI and it still can't keep up with the continuous flow of a winterizing blowout at 40PSI. I can't imagine even trying it with a tire inflator.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Top Bottom