Need basic information - first time and we're going full time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulf

Hello All!

We're becoming american missionaries. We are going to live out of a 30' travel trailer that was given to us a couple of months ago. It's an 84 or something like that and I've had to do a lot of water damage repair. We're done with all the repairs (we hope) and now I'm ready to hook it up and see if there are any other issues we need to work out.

I've never done anything with an RV or travel trailer, so it's all new to me. Where can I get information about hooking it up (water, sewage, etc) Hopefully I can take it to an RV park tomorrow and plug it all in.

I'm looking for stuff online not books, so if you can point me in the right direction I'd be appreciative.

For those that are interested, you can look at the trailer renovation here:
http://www.howtobecomeamissionary.com/the-trailer-is-here/

Thanks in advance for the help!
Paul

Wow, that's a lot of work...good for you. There's a lot of great information here on the forum, click Library to check it out.

Enjoy
Wendy

Hook up is pretty simple. Get a potable water hose (usually white and rated for drinking water) and connect it from the trailers city inlet to the park's water line (standard hose fittings).  Electric is similar - I'm guessing the trailer will have a 30A plug, which simply plugs into the matching receptacle. There may be 2-3 different shape receptacles on the campsite power post, so match up the one that looks like the pins on your plug.  Turn the circuit breaker on the post off first 9if there is one), then flip it on after plugging in.

Do you have a sewer hose?  Should have a bayonet fitting on one end that connects to the trailer (slide on and twist) and some sort of elbow or fitting to go down into the sewer hole on the site (or dump station - not all camp sites have sewer lines). If not fitting on the end, get a "donut", a round rubber plug with a hole through it, used to form a seal between the sewer hose and the "hole in the ground".  You should have two handles near the sewer outlet, one for "black" water (toilet) and another for "gray" water (sinks, shower, etc). Leave the closed (pushed in) until the tanks are near full. Pull one or the other to open the valves, which lets the waste water empty into the hose and [hopefully] down the sewer drain at the site or dump station. Dump the black tank first, then the gray, which washes the really yucky stuff out of the hose with the gray water. Make sure the end of the hose is firmly in the sewer drain caus eht einitial rush of water can make it jump a bit. Many people place a foot or a rock on the end to keep it in place.

And wash your hands with soap after handling sewer lines.

Back
Top Bottom