Need chassis and Engine help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Perk

Hi All, We just got home with our 2002 Newmar 38' Dutch Star and have a couple of questions as we were unable to get any past service history. The coach has 42,000 miles and the person we bought it from had the engine oil and filters changed. Our questions are should we get the chassis, cat engine,and onan genset serviced? Any other service we should do such as a new water pump or other things?

We are very new and need any help we can get.

Thanks,
Perk

If you don't know the service history, it would seem wise to have the chassis inspected and serviced in order to protect your investment and your life. A new or rebuilt motor or transmission will cost a lot more than the cost of an inspection/service. Have the air system and brakes checked. The air system has several filters designed to keep moisture and other stuff out of the brake and suspension systems. New belts and antifreeze will help your peace of mind.

gwd

Perk

If it were mine I would change all the fluids including trans & radiator, change all fuel & air filters & engine serpentine belts. Check the date codes on the tires as they should be changed every 5-7 years( I'm Conservative & change mine at 5 years).? Check the level of your front hubs if they have the oil bath system, there will be a clear plastic window behind a hubcap if you have them. If you don't replace the differential fluid at least have them do an oil analysis on it.

Back
Top Bottom