Need guidance on road restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Houndmamas

Hey everyone -- it's the woman in NY planning our first cross-country trip with our new trailer....I know y'all are going to laugh at this but I was pulling onto a local Parkway the other day and noticed (for the first time
blush.gif
) that there is a sign at the entrance ramp indicating that there are no trailers allowed on the Parkway....Up until that moment, it had never crossed my mind that there might be restrictions on the roads that we can plan to take for our trip.....So, now I am reaching out to ask for guidance on figuring out if the trip that I have planned on "MY Scenic Drives" (an online trip planner) puts us on roads that we can't use because we are towing a trailer....Please provide your expertise on this issue....Thanks!!!!

(I moved this thread to the Trailers area for better fit & visibility.)

To answer your question, I think we'd have to know more about this particular road... and the sign itself. Most of the local trailer-restricted roads I know of in Illinois are classified that way for commercial truck/trailer combos (i.e. semi trucks) because their extra weight is harder on the road. There may be other roads that restrict or warn against trailers because of clearance concerns, whether that's height (low bridges) or really tight turns. Generally speaking, if a semi truck is on the road then you'll be safe with just about any RV. Some GPS devices have a "truck route" navigation option that will help keep you on roads large enough for your rig... but they can also add time/distance unnecessarily in some cases.

How big is your trailer, how much does it weigh fully loaded for camping, and what are you pulling it with?

Usually trailers are not allowed on Parkways. I know the Taconic Parkway in NY and the Merritt Parkway in CT do not allow trailers. A good app I have been using is Copilot Navigation. It's $30 for a year but you enter the dimensions of your trailer, routes you prefer (highway, roads, tolls etc) and then can choose fastest, shortest or most practical. It keeps you to roads you can be on based on your dimensions. I just find this helpful because there could always be that one rogue back road that has a tunnel/bridge clearance lower than my trailer. My TT is 11'4" and I have some underpasses near me that are 10'3". Just a piece of mind without having to study the route I'm traveling to confirm I can drive on it.

Pretty much any road in NY or CT called “parkway” is for passenger cars only, but that’s not true everywhere else.

I made the same mistake in New York state about five years ago, except I was driving a 12' high motorhome. The reason for the warning is that the bridges are too low for most motorhomes and a lot of trailers. Luckily, I was able to get off before I had to go under any low bridges, but I have heard from other people who had to pull over immediately before a bridge and get help from the police to make an illegal U-turn.

On a positive note, I never found such rules or low bridges in other states, with the exception of a particularly low bridge in Mackinaw City in Michigan. The road goes under the approach to Big Mac, which is the name of the bridge connecting the lower to the upper peninsula of Michigan. Had to back through a four-way stop with lots of cars stopped for me!!

Also, one other problem in Eastern states is that some older gas stations have low canopies over the gas pumps. Learn the height of your rig, and be careful!!

However, you might want to buy a Rand McNally RV GPS. You enter the height of your RV, weight, width, and such and it will keep you out of trouble. When I entered info into mine, I added a few inches to each dimension and a few pounds to the weight, just in case. https://rand.factoryoutletstore.com...s.html?category_id=45888&catalogitemid=496011

Also available at Camping World: Rand McNally® RVND™ 7 GPS

These RV GPS units are expensive, but a lot cheaper than losing your AC or satellite off your roof!!!

Last edited:
Restrictions are more common in the northeast US, where some highway routes date back to the 1700's and most were designed well before there were large motor vehicles. Or in some cases, any motor vehicles at all. Highways in the Mid & Far West are designed and built to newer standards and mostly in more open spaces, so restrictions are fewer.

Some of the road use restrictions you may encounter and need to be aware of include:

• Low bridge or underpass (watch for the "Low Clearance" signs")
  • Maximum weight or axle limits on bridges and sometimes entire roads
  • No trucks, meaning no commercial vehicles. Private-use vehicles are normally exempt.
  • Axle count limits, i.e. the number of axles on each vehicle
  • No trailers (usually means any kind of trailer)
  • No propane or propane valves must be off (certain tunnels or suspension bridges).
  • Truck weigh stations (private vehicles are not required to enter for weighing)
  • Agricultural inspection stations (requirements for private vehicles vary by state)
Most of these won't end up being a concern for a recreational-use private vehicle, but you need to be aware so you can make informed decisions as you drive. You seldom have a lot of time to consider once you see the highway sign and a big rig rarely has the choice of just pulling over to the shoulder to think or investigate further.

The city of Chicago has some odd rules for trucks, including non-commercial pickup trucks.

"It shall be unlawful to operate any vehicle upon any boulevard (a) when such vehicle is used for carrying freight or other goods and merchandise for commercial purposes, (b) when such vehicle is designed primarily for carrying freight or other goods and merchandise, and (c) when such vehicle is used for carrying freight or other goods and merchandise on the outside of the vehicle; provided, however, that vehicles carrying freight or other goods from or to any building or premises abutting any boulevard where it is impossible from the location of the building or the character of the freight or other goods to be received or delivered, to receive or deliver the freight or other goods and merchandise from an alley or a side street or a street other than the boulevard, shall be permitted to enter the boulevard at the cross street nearest the building or premises to receive or deliver the freight or other goods, but shall not proceed further on the boulevard than the nearest cross street. Operators of emergency vehicles and such vehicles excepted by permits issued by the executive director are exempt from provisions of this section. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions, it shall not be unlawful to operate any of the vehicles described in clauses (a), (b) and (c) on those portions of Interstate Route 55, and the exit and entrance ramps thereto, which lie between the King Drive Interchange and the north and southbound lanes of Lake Shore Drive and the most easterly lane of northbound Lake Shore Drive and the most westerly lane of southbound Lake Shore Drive and the exit and entrance ramps of Lake Shore Drive which lie between Interstate Route 55 and 31st Street; provided that such vehicles are traveling to or from the McCormick Place complex and its support facilities."

Parking a pickup can also be a problem.

"(a) It shall be unlawful to park any truck, tractor, semi-trailer, trailer, recreational vehicle more than 22 feet in length, self contained motor home, bus, taxicab or livery vehicle on any residential street for a longer period than is necessary for the reasonably expeditious loading or unloading of such vehicle, except that a driver of bus may park the bus in a designated bus stand as authorized elsewhere in the traffic code; provided, however that in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, 31st, 32nd, 33rd, 34th, 35th, 36th, 37th, 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th, 45th, 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th and 50th wards this prohibition shall not apply to the owner of a pickup truck or van weighing under 4,500 pounds who has no outstanding parking violations, when such vehicle is parked at the curb adjacent to the owners place of residence and the vehicle bears a valid and current city wheel tax license emblem and a special parking permit issued in accordance with this subsection. In the 7th, 15th, 10th, 23rd, 35th, 46th and 50th wards this prohibition also shall not apply to the owner of a taxicab who has no outstanding parking violations, when such vehicle is not in service, when the vehicle is parked at the curb adjacent to the owner’s place of residence and when the vehicle bears a valid and current city wheel tax license emblem and a special permit issued in accordance with this subsection. The owner shall apply for a permit for such parking from the alderman of the ward in which he or she resides. The Alderman shall evaluate the vehicle for compliance with relevant provisions of the municipal code and shall issue a special parking permit if the vehicle is believed to be compliant."

Good luck trying to make any sense out of that mess. I'm just glad that I don't live in the city anymore.

Joel

Hey, OP, you can also buy a TRUCKER'S ATLAS from any large truck stop or travel plaza, those are great for checking low clearance locations. Sounds like someone has taken it to the electronic level, but I'm old school and I like checking an atlas... and the TRUCKER'S ATLAS has more info than regular atlases, it'll show mountain ranges, peak elevations, generally more detail overall, aye?

Another item I'd like to suggest as a former OTR truck driver: an EXIT GUIDE in published form. Maybe there's an electronic version out there now, but I always liked being able to manually check the guide and see what various exits offered in the way of services. Very handy item, it even lists Walmart locations in case you need an emergency place to crash, shop, whatever... Cheers!!!

Another item I'd like to suggest as a former OTR truck driver: an EXIT GUIDE in published form. Maybe there's an electronic version out there now, but I always liked being able to manually check the guide and see what various exits offered in the way of services. Very handy item, it even lists Walmart locations in case you need an emergency place to crash, shop, whatever... Cheers!!!
iExit is a free app that does that. The link is for the IOS version, but there is also an Android version.

Joel

Best advise is if you see trucks (other than pickups) you good to go. If i see a delivery truck or a semi on the same road i am i know where they can go i can go and i pull a 45ft 5er

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your input. It will help others if you could give us some details as to why you would not tow without it
My 5er is 13'4" tall. The Garmin keeps me off roads where I won't fit, avoids tunnels, gives me locations for dump stations, truck stops for diesel, and campgrounds. It's geared toward RV info. It's not a magic wand to get me out of trouble, but has kept me from getting into trouble several times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom