Need help cleaning my camper awning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladybug

Can someone tell me something to clean my awning with?  After the awning has been closed up for several months it has black streaks on the underside. The top side does not seem to get as dirty. We have used the spray on black streak removal cleaner, but it does not work. Any help will be appreciated!  Ladybug

Wal-mart as well as most RV stores sell awning cleaner. There are several and they all seem to work about the same for me.

Try this...wet the awning and spray with an Awning Cleaner.  Brush both sides with a soft brush.  Roll up the awning still wet and all soapy.  Let if set for about 10 minutes and unroll.  Spray with hose and additional brushing as needed.  Works for me...

I use Mr. Clean Magic Erasers as I would use a normal sponge.
Just dip it in your soapy water bucket and scrub a little and it works awesome !
May need to use more than one, as they will disintigrate.
However do not use these on shiny surfaces as they can damage the finish.
These erarsers work great on the inside too, and I have even used them on the roof.

The roll-it-up-and-let-it-soak technique works well for stubborn stains and grime on the porous material of acryilc awnings. I have had decent results using Oxyclean and that method. I never found it necessary on vinyl awnings - they can be scrubbed pretty well without soaking.

If you have pine pitch on the awning (or elsewhere), use straight isopropyl alcohol on each spot to dissolve the pitch.

Don't know if you are supposed to do it this way but its the way I do.    I put maybe 6 Tablespoons of TSP (Trisodium-phosphate)(?) in about a gal of water and and dip a brush in it and scrub the awning and then hose it off.  Been doing this for years and works for me.

ladybug said:
Can someone tell me something to clean my awning with?? After the awning has been closed up for several months it has black streaks on the underside. The top side does not seem to get as dirty. We have used the spray on black streak removal cleaner, but it does not work. Any help will be appreciated!? Ladybug

Most of what you see is just dirt.  It has accumulated from the top to the bottom as the awning was rolled up.  Extend the awning.  Mix up a solution of detergent and water -- I like Simple Green, but I suspect any good product will do.  Get a medium to medium soft brush on a short pole.  Put on some clothes and shoes that you do not mind getting soaking wet in.  Dip brush in solution and start scrubbing.  You will find that the stuff mostly cleans right off .  You get cleaned right off too -- free shower.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom