Need Help Fast, might have a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerW

I bought an 04 Expedition with a 5.4 Triton and a 3.73 rear axle last night. I was not aware at the time that there were two tow packages available that year. I have a class III package with a 4 pin connector. The only difference that I can really see is that the optional package included super engine cooling and a 7 pin connector. The receiver is integrated into the rear bumper so any type of heavier receiver isn't an option (at least I don't think it is)

I am picking up a Zeppelin 271 this Friday, the dry weight is a little under 5000 and the GVWR is 7000. Am I going to have an issue with this set up? I am getting a Reese Weight Distributing hitch system with sway and a brake controller.

Help me out here folks, I need the wisdom of the gurus

Roger

On an 04,there should be a label near the receiver indicating the trailer wt and tongue load limits FOR THE HITCH. (not to be confused with the truck limits).  I suspect you will have to get a frame hitch to handle the weight and sway components.  Find out what the truck limits are first.
Art

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

That is exactly what I needed to know. The label says 8950 (which is 8650 for 4x4) as long as the rest of the pwertrain is in line which it is with a 5.4 and 3.73.

I appreciate the help, this forum is absolutely awesome

Roger

well I still have a problem, as I now know the HD tow package not mentioned by Trailer Life in their ratings consists of a higher capacity tranny cooler and radiator so now I am left trying to figure out how to address this problem again without trading vehicles again

Well, a tranny cooler is usually not hard to add - any auto parts store or online supplier should be able to supply a kit.

Class III receivers may have a tongue weight limit of 500-600 lbs, which may not be enough for your trailer, so check it out carefully.    With a weight distributing hitch in the receiver, though, a Class III can often handle up to around 10,000 lb trailers.

Thanks Gary, I talked to a couple of dedicated Ford Truck stores and their take was just use it as it is and if you have trouble THEN spend the money on an auxilary cooling system. I got the same thing from two dealers so I don't think I am going to sweat it much. I am going tomorrow to get my brake controller and 7 pin connector added and then off to Louisville on Friday morning to pick up my new Zepp 271, (my first  new trailer)

Wish me luck and thanks for your advice, you always seem to respond and I really appreciate that. As a newbie I always have a ton of questions.

Roger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom