Need help figuring out how to display my coin collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

When I was a kid I really loved coin collecting but as I grew up I basically spent the collection. Since last year I have been collecting coins again. This time there is no chance I will spend the collection. I am only collecting US proof sets. I don't believe in collecting for future profit, I am collecting coins because they are so beautiful, and that beauty cannot be photographed. I recently ordered the last ten proof sets to complete my collection. I now have all the proof sets from 1968 to 2021. And I want to somehow display them in my fifth wheel. I am having problems figuring out how to display them. I don't want to display all of them at once, I don't have enough room on my walls.

I am thinking about a frame that would hold ten sets. Then I could rotate the sets in the frame. I could do a frame with two rows of 5 or a frame with 5 rows of 2 or three rows of three with one on top. I could display either a decade or the presidential series or the National Park series, all of which have ten sets. All of the coins are vacuum sealed and all the sets are the same size, 3.2" x 5.3" x 1/4". So one set would be about 16" by 12". I want to be able to view both sides so the front and back should be the same. I spent a lot of time searching the net for something made commercially but it appears that I may be the only person in the world who wants to display proof sets.

In case you don't what proof sets are imagine making the most perfect looking coins imaginable and then having no human touch the coins, just have machines sealing them up in a vacuum holder. The set from 1968 looks identical condition wise to the 2021 set. Because they are vacuum sealed they never show signs of use. You really have to see them to appreciate them.

I received the last ten sets to complete the collection yesterday and the package has to be seen to be believed. Evidently the guy I bought them from is a coin and stamp dealer and the stamp part is not doing so well. He appears to be using up his stamp collection. It took me about ten minutes to open the package. He used an excessive amount of tape. Coins 00.jpgCoins 02.jpgCoins 03.jpgCoins 04.jpgCoins 05.jpgCoins 07.jpgCoins 08.jpgCoins 01.jpg

Set them in channels top and bottom with sides so that they can be slid from side to side, much as a sliding glass door can "nest." You could make the "box" frame as wide as 2 or 12 of the plastic display cases. And you can route 2 - 10 channels so you can "nest" the displays but still have the ability to slide them pack and forth to inspect any when you want.

Or, if you've been to a rug store, they have racks that hold carpets vertically and pivot on a bottom and top frame.

Or, set up something kinda like the old 45 record carousels we used to see where the records were vertical and could spin around... Something similar could be made from a lazy susan with slotted channels for the plastic holders to slide into.

Or, how about a set of "Plate" shelves along a wall?

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 9.49.01 AM.png

When I was a kid I really loved coin collecting but as I grew up I basically spent the collection. Since last year I have been collecting coins again.
Tom & I collected coins and currency big time for many years. Includes broken bank notes such as this three dollar bill. And this one. They really are not all that queer. :) Lots of proof sets also. A little of everything.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Tom, are you familiar with the value of old coins? I have a bunch I inherited from my Mom when she passed and I have no idea if they’re worth anymore than face value. If you do know something about coins, I could bring them to fL when I go down for the winter then I could take a ride over to your place someday and have you look them.

The job I have now pays better than when I owned my own hot rod and restoration shop. Not nearly as much fun, though.

The ironic thing for me is that when i was 21 my father died of a heart attack at age 50. My doctor told me that heart attacks were familial so I would be dead at age 50. So i never made plans for my retirement. I didn't put money away and I made no plans. Now that I am 73 I am pretty sure he was wrong, but I can't tell him he was wrong because he died of a heart attack less than ten years later. I worked 17 years and I have now been collecting retirement pay for 32 years. I still find it hard to believe how much I am enjoying retirement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom