Need HELP for RV - Trailer Parks - Bay Area, California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thealaskan

Greetings,

I'm a long time Alaskan... over 20 years... and just started RVing with our new Keystone Raptor Toy Hauler 5th-Wheel.

We're looking for an RV Park in the Bay Area - San Francisco -- San Jose areas.  Been on extended vacation but now
in route and moving to CA for work and lifestyle change.

Any help on recommendations for RV sites would be greatly appreciated.  Here's our priorities in order of importance:

1.) Monthly rate $$$  (extended stay)
2.) Full hook-ups
3.) Convenience (within 40 mins preferrably) to downtown San Francisco.
4.) Nice park - ammenities - (but not too nice $$$)

Thanks so much.  Questions about Alaska or the Raptor gladly answered.

Ronn & Maggie

Hi Ron & Maggie,

It sounds like you're planning to live in the RV and commute into San Francisco. Any commute in the Bay area won't be pretty, but I seem to recall that Lou Schneider, one of our long-time forum members was located in a park within commutable distance of the city. Hopefully Lou will see your message.

I lived too close to San Jose to have been looking for RV parks, although a couple of years ago we stayed at Garlic RV Park in Gilroy, south of San Jose.

If you're prepared to go much further away from either city, we have a file in our library on RV parks in the California Delta. Click the Library button above and select Places to stay. I have no idea which of the parks might allow long term camping, but the file includes phone numbers &/or web sites. One caveat - any of these would be a very long commute to either San Franciso or San Jose.

Still scratching my head for possibilities.

There are a number of parks near SF.  I have always liked the "San Francisco North" park.  It is a KOA but there are sites that are quieter than others.  Good facilities and environment.  It is convenient to Santa Rosa and Sonoman-Napa Wine Country, the Pt Reyes Seashore.  and the Golden Gate NRA.  It is about one hour from downtown SF on US 101 across the Golden Gate.  I doubt if any San Jose CG could beat that time.  Goggle them on the web.

It sounds like you're planning to live in the RV and commute into San Francisco. Any commute in the Bay area won't be pretty...

Yea, been there -- lived in Mountain View for a couple years 88-90 -- so I'm familiar.  It could only be worse !!

Nevertheless, yes we are planning to park for an extended period and live in for a while - maybe up to a year or more.

Thanks for the insight so far !! 

Ronn

Ronn, I didn't realize you'd previously lived in the Bay area. Many of the commute routes are pretty ugly. I see Carl has given you some CGs north of the Bay, although the commute from SF to Marin County sometimes rates as one of the worst in the Bay Area.

Another thought that comes to mind is the idea of using BART for commuting, assuming of course that there's a convenient BART station near where you'd be working. They expanded the system a couple of times over the last 10 or so years - out to the East Bay (Pittsburg/Concord area) and Dublin/Pleasanton.

If you were, say, working in Santa Clara, there is also the ACE train (Altamont Commuter Express) - a  comfortable ride on a train that starts in Stockton and stops in Livermore to drop folks off near the Lawrence Livermore Lab and it stops in Fremont before going on to Santa Clara. They have shuttles from the station in Santa Clara (near the Great America theme park). However, when I tried to catch the ACE from Livermore to Fremont, it would have taken a lot of additional time and several buses to get from the Fremont station to the office because they had no shuttles in Fremont. So I continued to suffer the freeway commute.

Just thinking aloud to give you some additional options.

Try the Trailer Villa RV Park in Redwood City, CA.  This is a small park with nothing special.  The number is 800-366-7880.  It is listed in the Trailer Life directory on pages 421 and 441. It is in the middle of the Bay area and would be a 60 minute commute to SF.  BTW,  San Jose would be a 2-hour commute.  The commute from Marin County (N of the GG Bridge) is very long too.

JerryF

I think I phoned on the one in Redwood............ all seem about the same for monthly rates at around $700 to $800......... which I must say seems ridiculous........................ but then, I did decide to relocate to San Francisco !!  I dono, but I do appreciate the info so far.

I'd actually consider a trailer-court if it wasn't too "low class", don't need the amenities really, more important right now is cost, but sounds like may just have to bite the bullet.  BTW:  Commuting is not really the issue, at least not for now.  Ideally I'd like to be no more than 45 mins. out of downtown SF and I'm familiar with the area, but cost is an issue untill we get healed from this 6 month excursion !!

We're in northern Mississippi currently visiting my brother, on the road again soon.......

Thanks again for all the input !!

Ronn & Maggie

all seem about the same for monthly rates at around $700 to $800......... which I must say seems ridiculous

Agreed, but that's the Bay area. 1-room apartments in San Jose were renting for $1,600/month 5 years ago, probably more now. At that time, folks were renting out the floor of their living room to overnighters. For $300/night you got a space big enough for a sleeping bag, no access to bathroom or kitchen and you got out first thing in the morning. There were lots of takers.

Well........... here's what happened for anyone curious...

Firstly... thanks for the help & suggestions.

We ended up in San Francisco RV Park in Pacifica, CA.  Just 20 minutes from downtown SF and ocean front !!  Pretty cool place, a bit cramped, but very convenient for commuting and shopping etc.  Sandy beaches just a half mile away, though the rain is wreaking havoc on that option for now.

Great place overall though if you're in the area.

Ronn,

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad to hear you found a place to stay.

Back
Top Bottom