Need Help with Trip Planning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

We are planning on camping close to home for a month or two and then if everything goes well we really want to do a road trip which was the point of us getting a smaller camping trailer.
However the area that I have chosen as our final destination has a really bizarre trip route on the mapquest type things I have put it through as in..
Many "Verge onto"? Lots of different highways every few miles ..
I am worried this may be too much for us on our first trip
I am also worried we might hit a really mountainous area, which I have tried to avoid taking us away from WV area.
Our van I don't think will do very well we have a 15 foot travel trailer and a 6 Cyl. 2001 Chevy Venture with a trani cooler.

Please Help me I'm thinking this might be too much for us as a first long haul
I am thinking we would stop halfway somewhere in Maryland also.

Here is what I mean

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&pn1x=&a1x=&c1x=&s1x=&z1x=&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uewLk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=barrie&1s=on&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=frisco&2s=nc&2z=&r=f

Is there anyway I can find out how hilly the areas are that we are driving through or any other advice??

I have called Can Tire who is our auto club for a trip planning guide but I think it will be the same kind of thing..

Thankyou I hope this isn't a really stupid question I am really thinking of changing out destination because of it.

Tasha,
There is a publication called Mountain Directory that gives details of all major road grades. It comes in East and West editions and is available direct from the publisher or through Amazon.com. Also in some RV stores. See http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Without the details on your trailer length and weight and the Ventures engine size, drive axle gearing & transmission type, I really can't estimate how well it will handle hills.  However, a Venture has an absolute max towing capacity of 3500 pounds (many configurations are less )and that must be decreased by the weight of any passengers and gear in the van, so you are wise to cautious about hills, whether going up or down.  You can always get uphill, though perhaps slowly, but downhill can be dangerous due to brake overeating and failure.  If it has only the 1000 lb capacity you mentioned in your other message, then indeed it is likely to be overloaded even before you start out.  I hate to put a damper on your fun, buta 1000 lb is just plain insufficient for 4 passengers and even a light weight trailer.

I would not be terribly concerned about the number of turns, though merging into freeway (interstate) traffic will likely require caution because you will have only very modest acceleration.

Where are you starting from and what is the destination?  How much time will you spend en route?  Traveling in an Rv is supposed to be relaxing, not a driving marathon.  Start late and stop early is our motto and we seldom travel more than 200-250 miles per day. Leave time to make rest & food stops along the way and plan a pleasant overnight stop where needed.  Stop early enough to have a nice dinner and maybe  a campfire.

Thanks for the info.
Chevy Service put in a trani cooler and a hitch which they said would boost it to 3500 lbs which still isnt' much but should be adequate for what we have and our family.

That is great about the mountain directory it is so flat where we live that we don't have concerns about that but crossing into lands of unknown territory we could be in for a shock.

Here is our trip destination
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&pn1x=&a1x=&c1x=&s1x=&z1x=&un=m&cl=EN&qq=hltF3hzNT9tNhURP0HLlhh9UYBmHRqyBceg4Gkon14D8uewLk7pjHQ%253d%253d&ct=NA&rsres=1&1y=US&1ffi=&1l=&1g=&1pl=&1v=&1n=&1pn=&1a=&1c=barrie&1s=on&1z=&2y=US&2ffi=&2l=&2g=&2pl=&2v=&2n=&2pn=&2a=&2c=frisco&2s=nc&2z=&r=f

Avoid the Capital Beltway, except perhaps on Sundays!   Traffic is horrendous during most daylight hours on week-days.  You do not want to tow a trailer though that!  In fact, avoid I-95 around Washington DC altogether.  If you want to visit the sights of Washington, DC, e.g. the Smithsonian Institute, stay at a campground well outside and go in by car. And still avoid rush hours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom