Need info on size and brand of portable directv dish to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucyakers

I see there are various sizes and types, plastic, etc. of dishes. I have my Tivo receiver from home and roof on my trailer isn't rated to walk on so think dish on a stand in the dirt best option but don't know which kind to buy.

Do you have a crank up antenna on the trailer?  If you do you could replace that with a crank up sat antenna with the air antenna attached.  I think Ned and Fred have this type. You can set it from inside the trailer no need to get the roof.  Maybe Ned or Fred will see this and provide more details.

Lucy

Camping World sells a fold-up one made by Winegard (sp?) that you can sit on the ground or on the table.  A few years ago I bought an identical one with a different brand name (Shakespeare?) from West Marine when they were on sale. I think they were both made by the same company, just different labels. CW price was $99 and the WMP sale price was $75.

Camping World sells a fold-up one made by Winegard (sp?) that you can sit on the ground or on the table.

We had one of those and may still have it somewhere.  I'll look around, it may even be in Yuma.  Haven't used it in years.

But I still think the roof crank up are easier and require no extra space to store.

Ron

I've never seen a crank-up one, which is why I'd be interested in seeing a photo.

Tom said:
Ron

I've never seen a crank-up one, which is why I'd be interested in seeing a photo.
They are pretty nice and I know Ned likes his.
I think it takes him less than a minute to find and peak on the TV satellite.

Maybe it's like Jim's (?)  I seem to recall seeing Jim reaching out from his window to adjust the dish.

Jim D,

It was you I was thinking about, but maybe I was mistaken. Could have sworn I saw you reach out of the window and do something with the dish on the roof.

No need to reach out the window. ?Elevation ?is provided on an indicator set the elevation then turn the dish to the proper heading and peak. ?All done from inside from where the crank up air antenna use to be. ?Pretty neat setup. ?I think Wally may have one to and may even install them.

Tom,

Nope, not me. Dish is too far from the window to reach. :) Perhaps you saw me roll up the window awnings. Easier than using the hook. Learned that from Sam.

Jim Dick said:
Perhaps you saw me roll up the window awnings.

That must have been it Jim. We were at Anza Borrego and I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what you were doing.

Winegard makes a good crank up, I believe that is the one Fred has.? I have the "automatic" one but it looks just like the crank up.? It is easy to put the Terk antenna on it for off the air signals.? That is what we have on the dish at home for the locals.

Either one works well but with the crank up you do need the elevation meter.? We had one on the SeaBreeze and it worked great!!? BG

Welcome back and Good Luck,

We have the crank up Winegard as well.  I can generally be locked on the satellite in less than 30 seconds if the coach is level.  We can't see any advantage to the automatic antennas for television when the manual is so quick and easy.

That's a lot of info, thanks. I'll peruse the offerings by Winegard (think that's where I saw the plastic) and wait to hear if somebody finds a used one!

I do have a crank tv antenna.

(George got the automatic in a bubble one for his horse trailer.)

My crank tv antenna seems too light to support a dish but I'll look. Probably get a cheapie on ebay and wait for you guys to advise on a permanent solution.

When replacing the present crank up antenna the complete assembly is removed and the dish assembly is installed.? So there should not be a problem that I can see.

I just purchased a Winegard portable from CW. I was considering a crank up antenna, but out here on the east coast most campsites are pretty well covered from the tree canopies and I figured the portable type would be easier to place in an open spot. Have you guys that have a non-portable antenna found it difficult to find a clearing in the trees? I also bought the signal strength meter and compass to make it easier to set up. I should have everything before this weekend.

Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom