Need More Input! Rving FT vs House.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izzybbar

Husband is still asking for more input on this matter.  Any FT'mers out there that can give us a good outlook?  We really want this to work, but like any new thing, it must be checked out and feedback is the only way we can get it.  We don't know anyone who FT's period.  Please help me out here.
Thanks in advance
Connie ???

We straddle the fence on this question - we are "half-timers". We maintain a modest home in an inexpensive rural area and also spend about 6 months a year in the motorhome.  That's a good way to enjoy long-term RVing and still keep the comfort factor of a fixed home base.  And if either of you have any misgivings about fulltiming, I strongly recommend that approach.  Frankly, we love it when we "move into the RV" for the summer season but still love to "come home" in the late fall. We feel we have the best of both worlds.

The key to doing it this way is to have an inexpensive, low maintenance home in a friendly area where neighbors keep an eye on things while you are away.  Most cities can't provide that, but small towns like that abound.  And with the RV, you can make that home base be anywhere in the USA you want it to be.

It works well for us.

Connie,

As Gary said, it's not for everybody. We have been doing it for almost 9 years and really enjoy it. One word of caution, do not sell the house and use all the money for an RV. A house will appreciate and the RV depreciates. Be sure to keep some aside so you can go back to a house if you choose. I expect someday we will be looking for a more permanent place but don't want anything as large as we had before.

izzybbar said:
Husband is still asking for more input on this matter.? Any FT'mers out there that can give us a good outlook?? We really want this to work, but like any new thing, it must be checked out and feedback is the only way we can get it.? We don't know anyone who FT's period.? Please help me out here.

Connie,

My husband and I have been "fultiming" for 2 years and? 3 months.? I think he likes the life style more than I do.? Our start of full timing was exactly the day I retired,? so I had many? adjustments. I love retirement but it brought with it lots of time to shop and full time in this 40 foot motor home left little place to put "things."? I did not like always? shopping in a new grocery store with things in different places.? I got tired? out after being a tourist in a town for more than a week or 10 days at a time.? ?we got very self sufficient with bill paying on line , cell phones satellite INTERNET and that part was fun.? We tend now to find favorite places and stay a while.

We are about to build a new home to use about 6 months and travel the remainder of the time. part of that decision making process is the? hope that real estate will appreciate and KNOWING that the RV goes down in monetary value. I am glad we? kept funds available for? a "switch back " to a home mode but I am not sorry about any of our RV experiences and hope to continue with the RV life for many many years to come.? If you come to an RV forum rally you will get to meet folks who are in all kinds of situations and could discuss it first hand.? Where do you live now?? This decision is? a very? personal one and has many variables.? Bottom line only the two of you can decide if it is right for you.? Good luck? and keep asking questions.

Betty

My wife and I are preparing for Life 3.0 and the research continues even though we've put the house on the market. One thing I discovered in doing the research was that between 75% and 90% (depending upon whom you ask) of fulltime RV'ers come off the road in the first 5 years. It became apparent that while I had a good idea of finances required, equipment needed and plans for most everything, we had no exit strategy. The sudden awareness that we were trading our largest appreciating asset for the largest depreciating asset we've ever bought made me sit up and take notice. Time for Plan B. We've heard from some fulltimers that keeping a house was just expensive hedging and to be "real" fulltimers, we needed to let go of our stuff. After trying to figure out what we would do in case of failing health, flagging interest or general displeasure with our choice, we've decided to hedge. We're going to sell the house and property and invest half the proceeds in a small house that we will lease for enough to cover repairs, upkeep and management expenses. When we finally have to come off the road, we'll move into it. If we never come off the road, it will be worth no less than what we invested in it so it will be a long term savings account.
Q

Good point re an exit strategy. Sounds like you have a good plan.

My husband and I have been "fultiming" for 2 years and  3 months.

When we met you the first time in Redmond in 2001 Terry was a full-timer suported by a working wife. ;D ;D ;D

Quasi,
I like your phrase "exit strategy" and will incorporate it in my future advice to prospective fulltimers.  Thanks for the thoughtful contribution.

Back
Top Bottom