need opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerW

I am actively looking at travel trailers in the 5500 and down weight range. The ones I have looked at so far are the Rockwood, the smaller Keystone Outbacks, the Keystone Zeppelin, the Jayco Jayfeather and the Aerolite. My opinion is that the Outback seems to be the best quality for the dollar spent. I am impressed with the finish on the Aerolite and the Zeppelin, wasn't overly impressed with the Rockwood(seemed of good quality but short on amenities for the buck) and haven't seen the Jayfeather in person. All seem to have floorplans that would work for me and all fit into my budget.

Am I overly confusing myself? This is my first good sized TT and I really want to make a good decision

Thanks, Roger

Hi Roger,

I can't help with your question, but hopefully one of our trailer experts will be along soon.

FYI there's no need to post the same message on more than one message board here. Since this would seem to be your best bet for responses, I went ahead and removed the other one.

Thanks Tom, it just seemed like I might have been putting them in the wrong place due to lack of response. I appreciate the heads up

Roger,

Yes, the "right" message board can sometimes make a difference to folks seeing a message and responding, so I think your choice of this board for your question was a good one. Sometimes the apparent lack of response is due to folks travelling or otherwise being offline. I know I sometimes get impatient when I post a question and don't see a reply, but then realize the folks with the answer aren't necessarily online.

Am I overly confusing myself?

No, it is wise to ask questions and be cautious. 

The brands you are looking at are popular and I haven't heard anything consistently bad about them. Any given one of them  probably will have a few minor problems upon delivery, but their general reputation is sound. I think we have a few Zeppelin owners here who post regularly and a Jayfeather own or ar two as well.  I think they are all pretty much in the same class in terms of quality and price.

In broad terms, you will get pretty much what you pay for.  The small travel trailer market is very price competitive and if one model sports more amenities than another, then they have probably short-changed somewhere else, some place not readily apparent to you. That doesn't mean it is bad, but try to spot the differences because they will be there somewhere. Maybe a slightly less robust frame (the unladen weight is an indicator), lighter weight axles, higher energy consumption a/c unit, or whatever.  If the mix of amenities and basic construction suits your needs, then its still a good deal.

Alpenlite makes a 28' TT I think is top drawer.  This unit fits your desired weight.  It is made by Western RV in Yakima Washington.  David

Unfortunately, they don't have any dealers around. I am leaning pretty heavily toward the Zeppelin or the Jayfeather but stock is really limited around here right now. It may make it tough to get my price.

If you have them in your area, take a look at Komforts. I had one for two years and never had a problem of any kind. I have a Keystone Mountaineer now and have constant issues with it. Doubtful I'll ever get another Keystone product again even though I never had a issue getting things fixed under warranty.

We have an '07 Zeppelin 278 and LOVE IT.  The only break in issues from our first trips have been very minor and to be expected.    Buying from a good dealer helps, too.
Bottom line - it's surprisingly nice for the $$$

Thanks Folks, I have narrowed it down to the Zeppelin and the Jayfeather, unfortunately local dealers won't deal on price so it looks like I will have to drive a few hours.

Roger

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom