Need parts and advice for my 1995 Luxor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Dave

Hi. I recently purchased a 1995 Luxor and am having some problems. Its been in the shop for 5 of the last 15 days as a small shop juggles jobs. My dash a/c did not work. Shop was putting in coolant (was empty) when the coolant fans failed to turn on. There was no power going to the fans. Discovered relay was bad. However even with new relay, fans did not turn on. Mechanic "jumped" the relay terminals and the fans both worked fine. Mechanic says its a "pressure switch somewhere that needs to be replaced. Does anyone out there know where the pressure switch for the compressor cooling fans is located?? Any other ideas???

Last question: Cruise control doesn't work. Manual says likely problem is in-line fuse located in steering column. Mechanic here can't find problem and SWEARS that there is no fuse and that the manual is wrong. Anyone have any suggestions for fixes.

Welcome tp the forum.

Not sure I've ever come across a vehicle with dedicated fans for the A/C system. Are you talking about the radiator fans? If so they are/should be thermally switched - that is they come on due to coolant temperature not pressure.

It could be the shop is not running the vehicle long enough for the coolant to get hot.

Regarding the cruise control, they work great until they don't. My experience is the most common failure is the switches in the stalk.

In 1995 the cruise control may well have been a separate system, not tied into any part of the OEM engine or chassis systems. Specifically, it's just a vacuum operated throttle modulated by a controller with possibly just an RPM input from a coil, or crank sensor transmission speed sensor. It will absolutely have a fuse, but it may be a fuse that protects other things and may be just "auxiliary" or "spare". My cruise "works" but it's mostly wishful thinking, because in anything other than very flat terrain it tries valiantly to keep the set speed and thrashes the transmission mercilessly with downshifts. I'd rather let the vehicle slow 5mph up a hill than drop to 2nd and run 4K RPM just to maintain a given speed every few minutes.

On my A/C the twin electric fans come on any time A/C is turned on. There is a fan relay operated from the climate control that powers them, though I can't say if there are any other "and" or "or" signals that may cause them to start or stop for any other reason. I certainly haven't noticed any other operation other than when A/C is on, fans are running.

It would be my opinion that the techs in this shop are at best learning, at worst guessing. You will have to decide just how much value their education and experience about your vehicle is worth.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome tp the forum.

Not sure I've ever come across a vehicle with dedicated fans for the A/C system. Are you talking about the radiator fans? If so they are/should be thermally switched - that is they come on due to coolant temperature not pressure.

It could be the shop is not running the vehicle long enough for the coolant to get hot.

Regarding the cruise control, they work great until they don't. My experience is the most common failure is the switches in the stalk.
Thanks for the response. I am talking about my Winnebago Luxor, a diesel class A motorhome. It's a pusher (engine in the rear) and like many, there is a "grill" in the rear quarter panel. This is to allow airflow for the two, side by side, radiator type fans that cool the a/c compressor. They should turn on a few seconds after the A/C is turned on when engine is running. As to the cruise, what "switches" are in the stalk and is it possible the to replace the stalk?

Ok, I mix up words sometimes. Its NOT the compressor fans but the CONDENSER fans that don't come on. Got to be a high pressure switch somewhere that I can't see. Anybody know where Winnebago put it back in 95?
In 1995 the cruise control may well have been a separate system, not tied into any part of the OEM engine or chassis systems. Specifically, it's just a vacuum operated throttle modulated by a controller with possibly just an RPM input from a coil, or crank sensor transmission speed sensor. It will absolutely have a fuse, but it may be a fuse that protects other things and may be just "auxiliary" or "spare". My cruise "works" but it's mostly wishful thinking, because in anything other than very flat terrain it tries valiantly to keep the set speed and thrashes the transmission mercilessly with downshifts. I'd rather let the vehicle slow 5mph up a hill than drop to 2nd and run 4K RPM just to maintain a given speed every few minutes.

On my A/C the twin electric fans come on any time A/C is turned on. There is a fan relay operated from the climate control that powers them, though I can't say if there are any other "and" or "or" signals that may cause them to start or stop for any other reason. I certainly haven't noticed any other operation other than when A/C is on, fans are running.

It would be my opinion that the techs in this shop are at best learning, at worst guessing. You will have to decide just how much value their education and experience about your vehicle is worth.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Appreciate your help, Mark. Suspect you may be correct on degree of knowledge at shop. Will head out soon and hope that some Luxor owner knows where the high end pressure switch is located. The relay won't send current to the defective switch. As you know, fans are for condenser, sometimes I mix up words.

Thanks for the response. I am talking about my Winnebago Luxor, a diesel class A motorhome. It's a pusher (engine in the rear) and like many, there is a "grill" in the rear quarter panel. This is to allow airflow for the two, side by side, radiator type fans that cool the a/c compressor. They should turn on a few seconds after the A/C is turned on when engine is running. As to the cruise, what "switches" are in the stalk and is it possible the to replace the stalk?

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully you can find some coach specific manuals or help on the fans.

For the cruise control you might want to post a separate thread describing exactly what is happening or not happening. I did a google on the manuals and its a pretty rare bird you've got.

Got the manual, even found it on-line. For Cruise, says fuse is in column, should probably just tear into it myself. Only way to learn, hope I don't screw something else up. Thanks for the help, MUCH APPRECIATED!
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully you can find some coach specific manuals or help on the fans.

For the cruise control you might want to post a separate thread describing exactly what is happening or not happening. I did a google on the manuals and its a pretty rare bird you've got.

Back
Top Bottom