Need Recommendation for RV Service/Repair in San Francisco Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E. Graham

Can anyone recommend a reliable, reputable RV repair/service provider in the San Francisco-Greater Bay Area?? We're willing to travel up to 80 miles from downtown San Francisco.?

Here's why:? we will soon be the new owners of a Casita travel trailer, which is being delivered to us from the manufacturer, as Casita does not use a dealer network).? Before we take it on the road, we need to have torsion bar baskets and a sway-bar bracket welded on, a MaxiVent installed on the roof, a rain-shield installed on one of the the side windows, and the hitch adjusted to the trailer's tongue height.

We'd prefer to go to an RV place that is recommended by other RVers.? Thanks for any help you can give us.

Elisabeth and John Graham, soon to be the proud parents of Le Mini-Lapin

We've lived in the Bay area for over 25 years but I'm afraid I don't have a good recommendation for you. I'm sure there are some good repair shops out there, but I just haven't had a good experience with the small number I've used. Small stuff I do myself and larger stuff I wait until I can get to a factory service center.

There are numerous welding shops in the Bay area and I suspect a hitch shop could easily weld the bracket for you. They should also be able to help you with the height adjustment. The only hitch place I've used is Eyers Hiitch Center on El Camino Real in Santa Clara and I've been happy with the work they've done each time. Their web site is Eyers Hitch.  It's a bit of a drive from San Francisco, so you might want to look for a similar shop closer to you.

Camping World in Fairfield should be able to intsall the MaxiVent for you.

Here's why:  we will soon be the new owners of a Casita travel trailer, which is being delivered to us from the manufacturer, as Casita does not use a dealer network).  Before we take it on the road, we need to have torsion bar baskets and a sway-bar bracket welded on,

While you can get these welded on, are you sure that you need to have them welded on?  I have a Reese class IV weight distributing system and I have the snap up brackets (ie your "baskets") bolted on by only a single friction bolt to position them.  They are fabricated to hang on the A frame members of your trailer.  The bolt merely holds them in position, it does not take strain from the bars.  While I do not have the friction anti-sway control, Reese's version appears to be bolted, not welded on.  Drilling would be required tho.    Leveling and adjusting a WD system is really a procedure that any person capable of reading an following mfr. instruction can do -- with only a wrench.

Tom and Carl,

Thank you both very much for your response.

Regarding the hitch, sway bar, and torsion bars:? thank you for pointing out that welding may not be necessary.? In truth, I don't recall how the torsion bars brackets for our DSP WD Hitch were attached to the a-frame tongue on our former trailer (a Wilderness Ultralight 21', which we sold with hitch and all necessary tools).? They may indeed have been bolted, not welded on.? Casita used the term "welded" when I inquired with them about whether there was going to be room.? However, you point out that a hitch shop should be able to do either the bolting or the welding, so I'll follow up the Santa Clara outfit.?

I should clarify that while we know how to adjust the hitch height, we don't (yet) have a wrench that is big enough to loosen and then tighten  the bolts.

Again, thanks very much!
Elisabeth

EG,

We lived in Redwood City for over 30 years and several times had work done  by a place called "TRAILER HITCH."  They were always good and very reliable.  It's the type of place the father started and the son now runs it. 

I suggest you go there for all the "trailer type" of work you need done.  They are at 3033 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, CA.  The phone is 650-368-2125.

Redwod City is about 24 miles south of SF.  There also is a "no frills" MH park in Redwood City.  It's in the trailer life diretory.

JerryF

I had work done at Eyers Hitch center and was happy with it. Campingworld i n Fairfield or San Martin (20 miles South of San Jose) should be able to do the work.

Chris

I should clarify that while we know how to adjust the hitch height, we don't (yet) have a wrench that is big enough to loosen and then tighten  the bolts.

A 1/2 drive socket wrench set will do the job.  It is a handy set of tools to have around a trailer and is worth buying.  You do not need a professional set, since your use would not be constant.  Sears Craftsman is an excellent brand and can often be found on sale.

Back
Top Bottom