Need Recommendations for Anti-Virus and Internet Security software, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.

Jack has a new laptop  and is using an evaluation version of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 12.  I am not familiar with this product. I use Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security.

Please give us your recommendations re: this type of software.  Also what products are you using? 

Thanks,
Jack and Liz

Jackliz said:
Howdy, Framily.

Jack has a new laptop? and is using an evaluation version of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 12.? I am not familiar with this product. I use Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security.

Please give us your recommendations re: this type of software.? Also what products are you using??

Thanks,
Jack and Lizl

Although I currently use Norton Internet Security I will not use them much longer and I DO NOT recommend Norton.  Personally I recommend AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm.  Ned may have some other recommendations but I am sure they would not include Norton.

I should mention that I have used Norton for several years but have gotten tired of their copy protection scheme that slows everything down and the way they slow a computer down because of their high usage of memory. 

::) It never ceases to amaze me why people continue to PAY for inferior products. I have always used Anti-Virus Guard or AVG. I also use Spybot. All FREE and superior. They find things that Norton or McAffee and the like do not. IMVHO.  ;)

Jackliz said:
Jack has a new laptop  and is using an evaluation version of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 12.  I am not familiar with this product. I use Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Internet Security.

I've been using Norton Anti-Virus for many, many years and it has done it's job for me. When I had an issue with my software, my laptop tech support first had me run Trend PC-Cillin to double check. Either works fine. I much prefer Zone Alarm to Norton Internet Security.

Free is fine, but AVG says they don't update the virus sgnatures for the free version as often as for the paid version.

FWIW I have (free) AVG on one notebook and (paid) NAV on another. When I tried AVG on Chris' older desktop at home it all but cripples her computer. It works just fine on one of my notebooks.

You might wish to take a look at this site:    http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

I used to be a fan of Norton, PC-Cillin & have since discovered NOD-32.
http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm
It updates it's virus pattern files almost on a daily basis, (quote) NOD32 offers the best detection, fastest performance, and smallest footprint available.
I have it installed on four different computers.
Best,
Treeman

I tried AVG once, and found it didn't catch some things that Norton found.  In its defense, it did find some things that Norton didn't fine.  However, I've come to find that Norton Anti-Virus, with Norton Internet Security does a very good job for me, and I have never had anything get through this computer that I didn't want in.  There was an exception with some teenagers that used it once and managed to sneak something by, but I was able to clean it up pretty quickly and with no residual problems.  I stand by Norton and will continue to pay for the peace of mind it give me.  As someone who makes his living doing computer security, I'll stick with what I know and trust.

edjunior;

I stand by Norton and will continue to pay for the peace of mind it give me.  As someone who makes his living doing computer security, I'll stick with what I know and trust.

Don't take this as a personal afront, but Norton S--cks. They're always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to new virus threats. If you don't like PC-cillin, Panda and others (AVG) provide much more in the way of up-to-the-minute protection and function. Trend Micro sometimes has 2 or 3 updates per day; far more timely than anyone else - and they're automatic; no need to 'ask' for updates. Get online, and they (at your option) will download and install the latest pattern files and engines.

Other people on this forum (including myself) have been involved with hdwe, sftw, and security issues for 35+ years and are constantly evaluating new offerings. To date, you'll find the concensus strongly disfavors Norton and McAfee.

Jack,

Yes it does, but I purchased Zone Alarm before the current version of PC-cillin. Actually use both firewalls now and there don't seem to be any conflicts. When it gets near time to re-up with ZA, I'll do some serious testing if the PCC firewall by itself and maybe forego ZA if it pans out. Just have to wait and see. The Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite has all the protection features of its' PC-cillin counterpart, and may be a great alternative; certainly worth a look and try. They have a fully functional 15-day trial available for download here: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conte...ily/trial_zaFamily.jsp?lid=home_freedownloads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom