Need Some Advice On Slide Out Toppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funkyskunk1949

I just bought a 2020 Coleman Lantern 314BH and I have a problem with a leaky Slide Out.  The salesman at Camping World told me that you can't put a slide topper on a travel trailer with aluminum exteriors.  That doesn't sound right.  Does anyone have any experience here?

I can't comment on the salesman's opinion, but your slideout shouldn't be leaking (whether or not it has a topper) and should be taken back ASAP for warranty repair.

I think the sales guy is full of it, but he's a salesman, right? Does he disapprove of the factory awning as well?

I'll grant that mounting a slide topper on a corrugated metal sidewall may take some extra care, but basically the technique is no different than mounting the patio awning.

If the leak is around the slide itself, the topper has nothing at all to do with it. If the leak is inside the wall above the slide, it's possible that something is wrong with the topper installation and it is leaking around a screw or bracket.

Thanks for the reply guys.  Right now I have no toppers.  The unit is at Camping World right now for warranty repair for the leaking Slide Out.  I was inquiring about the slide outs as a way of helping to prevent future leaks.  I am not sure how hard it is for them to repair the leaky slide.

funkyskunk1949 said:
I was inquiring about the slide outs as a way of helping to prevent future leaks.  I am not sure how hard it is for them to repair the leaky slide.

Toppers reduce some of the pressure from rain on the top seal, but they should not be relied upon to "fix" a leaky slide. However "hard" the repair is, don't leave the dealer until you're convinced the leak is fixed. This includes hosing it down.

Back
Top Bottom