Need some boat advice !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom said:
It sounds like a 'bow rider' style of boat would fill the bill for you; There'll be plenty of seating and there are numerous models available with outboard engines.
most of the boats I like have I/o set ups I want plenty of seating ! Not a pontoon fan either . Is an I/o going to cost me more than an outboard ?

2 years ago, I bought a 1999 Bayliner 2050 LS for $8K. It has a Mercruiser 5.7 with Alpha 1 outdrive. It had been kept inside & covered when not in use, it was/is in pristine condition. This boat will run 57 mph with 5 people aboard. It'll pull 2 tubes with at least 2 people on each tube with no trouble at all, haven't seen how fast it'll pull'em tho.

I know Bayliners are said to be "entry-level" boats. But, my Fleetwood Bounder is said to be "entry-level" also. I'm not sure I know what entry level means, but I'm very happy with my cheap stuff. :) They are serving me VERY well.

I actually found my boat on craigslist.

oldenuftoknowbetter said:
Another benefit of an outboard if you live in the winter freeze zone...you don't have to winterize an outboard.  I live in NC and own a bowrider with a 4.3L V6 Penta with an OMC stern drive.  I have to get it winterized before the first hard freeze and can't take it our until the freeze threat is over.

I have a 20' jet boat with a 5.7, 325 HP chevy engine and I don't have to winterize it any more than I would have if the engine was in a truck. I run my engine in below 10 degree weather in the PNW and I do nothing different for the engine. I do have a problem with my Yamaha outboard if I don't drain the water by tipping the engine down to drain the water from the drive. It will freeze if I don't and water won't come out the pee hole.

Rene T said:
And you can navigate in much shallower water with an outboard motor.  just raise it and as long as it's pumping cooling water, you're good to go.
With my jet boat I can navigate in water a prop boat would never consider. I travel up rivers all the time in 4-6" of water at 30+ MPH.

?of the boats I like have I/o set ups I want plenty of seating ! Not a pontoon fan either . Is an I/o going to cost me more than an outboard ??    YES. Long term, even with improvements the outdrive sections are costly to repair & replace.  With the improvements in outboards mfgs are moving away from I/O (with a few exceptions).
  Majority of newer outboards are 4 stroke (exception ETec) Quiet, fuel efficient, pretty simple to work on (exception Verados).  Less weight than I/O, more seating room in boat. 

Campingnut16 said:
I'll take a look I like pontoons but most have tiny little outboards and I would need one with some juice
I saw one this summer. It was a tri-toon, which means it has three pontoons. More stable. It had twin 350 hp mercs on the back. 700 hp ought to be enough for you. My inboard outboard has a 350 mercruiser with a merc outdrive. Ive had good luck with it. I have been told to stay away from omc engines and outdrives, as they have gone out of business, and parts may become more scarce in the future.

I doubt he will find one of those within his budget, the big outboards are very spendy. Mercruiser and Volvo-Penta are the major players in stern drives, service is readily available. Yamaha and Mercury seem to be the current leaders  in the outboard market although Evinrude, now made by Bombardier, is back. Local service would be more important than brand, you still need parts doing your own work and you don't want to be waiting for back orders.
The combinations of power and boat style are almost dizzying. For your stated wants I would recommend a bow rider with 90-100hp, they are fast, stable with lots of comfortable seating and affordable. Bigger can be better but how much can the c/c withstand? ;D I rode in one with a custom built 498 c.i Chev marine engine this past summer, we had to be sitting down when he cracked that puppy but I am really glad I'm not buying his fuel.

Back
Top Bottom