need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masterblaster

We have decided on the KZ 2303s. The Exterior length is 24'11, GVWR is 6000. We were going to get a 2013 Chevy 2500 dura max. We are going to travel the west in the mountains and thought it would be the safe way to go. We can not afford it. So is it safe to tow this rig with a 2013 Chevy ext. cab, standard bed, 1500 5.3L tow package? The max amt. it will tow is 9700. I do not trust the dealers as they seem to tell you what they think you want to hear to make a deal. Any help would be great. We a new to TT but have camped alot in tents. We love the outdoors and want to see the country and enjoy the National parks and forests before we get to old. Thank you for your help. Steve & Lisa

The 1500 will tow this rig, at least off the lot. But then you threw in the travel in mountains and my opinion is you will regret the smaller gas engine on every up hill grade you chug up with motor reving, knuckles griping, and bottom puckered. I pulled a 5er with a 2007 2500 Duramax up till Feb. and never had a problem. You might look for a good used truck to keep the cost down in your budget range. Then you will be able to upgrade your TT to a wider variety in the future if you need to without up grading the truck. There are lots of good clean older trucks out there and you can't beat the duramax, its quite. The diesel will run for ever just make sure the chassie, steering, body etc. are ok.

Get as minimum a 3/4 ton.  Preferably would be a 1 ton SRW.  History tells us that people tend to upgrade trailers every few years.  So unless you want to go through this again with trucks, you might as well get it right the first time.  While a 1 ton might not be necessary today with your trailer choice, who knows what the future holds.

Keep your eyes open for awhile.  Look for a used pickup.  You may be able to find a late model used one for a lot less than new.  After some looking, I found a 2500 Chevy Duramax with 68,000 on it for $30,000.  A new 1500 will almost cost you that much.  If you upgrade to a larger TT or 5er in the future you will still have plenty of truck.

The issue that you will have with the 1500 is payload capacity. The 5.3L with the 6spd trans won't have a problem "pulling" 6K even in the toughest of mountains as long as you keep the payload to a minimum.

Towing safety is 90% stopping and 10% pulling. The worst that can happen "Pulling" the trailer is that the TV may over-heat or break something...... not a lot of "Safety Hazard" there. The worst thing that can happen stopping is that you could crash and everyone could die..... BIG "Safety Hazard" there....... The other issue is that "Pulling" ramifications only affect you, your rig and you pocket book... "Stopping" or the lack there-of, often affects others' safety as well.

Having said all that........ a skilled driver can "Control" most of the stopping issues like brake fade and or stopping distance required to avoid a collision through driving technique. It will be more difficult to control with a 1500 than a 2500..... It's all about "risk management" and your tolerance for pain (in more ways than one.

I have a 2006 Silverado 1500  4.8L. I tow my 4K# TT with it everywhere without issue. I have towed my brother's 6K# TT with it and I wouldn't do it again. A 5.3 with a 6spd trans would make it a far better experience and less wear & tear on the TV but stopping that thing was no fun either (brakes are the same as what you are talking about). My constant concern was, "what if these da#@ electric brakes fail when going down this grade". I would have felt much better knowing that the TV could stop that trailer in the event that the electric trailer brakes failed. Electric trailer brakes do fail from time to time for a variety of reasons, trailer connection failure, brake magnet failure, wire connector failures, wire's getting cut by the axle..... on & on.

I put air lifts on my 1500 to help aleviate sagging but my payload capacity was at max with my 4K# trailer (500# tongue wt) and about 300# over max with my brother's trailer (800# tongue wt).

BTW....... are we talking a 1500 or a 1500HD..... big difference.

masterblaster said:
We have decided on the KZ 2303s. The Exterior length is 24'11, GVWR is 6000. We were going to get a 2013 Chevy 2500 dura max. We are going to travel the west in the mountains and thought it would be the safe way to go. We can not afford it. So is it safe to tow this rig with a 2013 Chevy ext. cab, standard bed, 1500 5.3L tow package? The max amt. it will tow is 9700. I do not trust the dealers as they seem to tell you what they think you want to hear to make a deal. Any help would be great. We a new to TT but have camped alot in tents. We love the outdoors and want to see the country and enjoy the National parks and forests before we get to old. Thank you for your help. Steve & Lisa

OK, the listed tow rating for the 1500 is 9700 lbs.  Deduct 20% from that tow rating for operation out here in the west making it 7760 lbs.  Your trailer GVWR is 6000 lbs.  I would say that you are good to go. 

Sure a 2500 or a diesel would be better, but with the judicious use of lower gears and the patience to spend a lot of time in the right hand lanes in first gear, you should get along just fine.  In fact, if you look around, you will find yourself in a lot of company, including diesel pusher motorhomes, over on the far right of interstates like I-80 going over Donner Pass. 

Been there, done that, a lot myself.  Didn't get a  shirt tho.    8)

In my opinion, you should be good to go. For 2 years I towed a 7,000 lb TT with my 1999 1500 5.3 that had a 7,400 lb tow rating. At the time I did not know much about tow ratings and GVWR/GCWR but the truck did exceptionally well. Horsepower, torque, and payload have only gotten better since then. With your numbers showing the TT at only about 2/3 of your max towing capacity I would do it in a heartbeat. Two required items, though - the factory tow package (including transmission cooler) and a good WD hitch.

Thanks for the help.  We are undecided as to the 2013 Ford F150 ecoboost tow rating 11300lbs with a 3.73 rear axel,with max tow package. Max pay load is 2080lbs, max GVWR is 7500lbs, Max GCWR is 16900lbs. Lots of money!!! or
The2013  Chevy 1500 5.3L max tow rating 9700lbs with a 3.42 rear axel gear, factory tow package max,  pay load is 1755lbs, GVWR is 6800, Gcwr is 15000lbs. Less money!
We will be towing in the West alot in the summers. 2 people me and my wife. truck capper alum. 2 honda 2000 gen., 2 batt. and 2 20lbs gas bottels on toung of trailer. other camping stuff in truck. will try to be light. Trailer GVWR 6000lbs, dry hitch weight 450lbs. Any feed back would be helpful. We are real excited about it. But want to be safe and sure we have made the right choice. Thnaks Steve & Lisa

masterblaster said:
Thanks for the help.  We are undecided as to the 2013 Ford F150 ecoboost tow rating 11300lbs with a 3.73 rear axel,with max tow package. Max pay load is 2080lbs, max GVWR is 7500lbs, Max GCWR is 16900lbs. Lots of money!!! or
The2013  Chevy 1500 5.3L max tow rating 9700lbs with a 3.42 rear axel gear, factory tow package max,  pay load is 1755lbs, GVWR is 6800, Gcwr is 15000lbs. Less money!
We will be towing in the West alot in the summers. 2 people me and my wife. truck capper alum. 2 honda 2000 gen., 2 batt. and 2 20lbs gas bottels on toung of trailer. other camping stuff in truck. will try to be light. Trailer GVWR 6000lbs, dry hitch weight 450lbs. Any feed back would be helpful. We are real excited about it. But want to be safe and sure we have made the right choice. Thnaks Steve & Lisa
The only # that may be a little unrealistic here is the tongue wt. Your actual tongue wt will be a minimum of 10% of the loaded trailer wt in order to keep the trailer from swaying. A more realistic # would probably be about 12%. If you are able to keep the loaded trailer wt down to 5500# that would put your tongue wt around 660#. Add the truck capper 250#?? ..... gensets 150# .... misc camping gear 200# and your payload should be around 1250-1400#..... well within limits.

You will still have to be very careful with your downhill speed. Check your trailer brakes carefully before each trip and hit the emergency brake switch on our brake controller before descending any grades. These are all good practices with any TV but you will have to be diligent about it.

This is my Silverado towing my 4K# TrailManor (515# tongue wt). I am pretty well maxed out but the new Silverado has a higher payload rating.

Attachments

• DSC04255a.jpg
    DSC04255a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 14
We have a 21.5' trailer and just got another Silverado 2500HD w/tow package - 2010, 32,000 miles for $18,500 with full warranty - so to pay $30,000 for a used with 62,000 miles I think is very high. I think you definitely need a 3/4ton and I would shop around a bit for a better deal.

Back
Top Bottom