need some TV input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef john

I have a 2003 Silverado EXt Cab (4WD) Z-71 with a 5.3L Vortec. My Axle Ratio is 3.73 and my owners manual says that 7,800lbs is my max trailer weight, with my GCWR being 13,000lbs. I am wanting to buy a Starcraft Homestead 292RKS and the GVW stated in the brouchureis 6085. I have seen the trailer I want online and the dealers say the weight is 6,600. It is only my wife and I and we do most of our camping only 25 miles from home. I live in SC and there are no mountains just slightly rolling hills. Can I pull this TT? What if I wanted to goto the beach, which is around 120 miles and is a flat drive most of the way, would I be alright to do that once or twice a year? The GVWR on the TT is 10000. I just found this forum yesterday and I can see with the wealth of knowledge that is hear I will be using it often. So I say in advance that you for the service you provide hear.

Tow ratings is not just a matter of engine and rear end.? It is also a matter of suspension, transmission, and brakes.? ?Especially, ...and brakes.
It is also the rating of a new truck -- your truck is 3-4 years old and just like us, the older it gets, the less it wants to pull.

We tell folks to go by GVWR of the trailer because that is a real number.  Dry weight is a calculated number, and may not include standard accessories like awnings and optional A/C units or gensets.  It certainly does not included propane, water, black and grey tank contents, foodstuffs, kitchenware, tableware, clothing, bedding, books, lawn chairs, etc. etc.  Don't kid yourselves, that trailer weight as loaded for travel is going to be a lot more than 6,600 lbs.. 

The dealer says the trailer's dry weight is 6600 lb?  What does the DOT plate on the trailer say?  Not that I don't completely trust dealers... 8)

Anyway, barring a scaled weight of the trailer as loaded for travel, I would keep your GVWR to 90% of the tow rating or 7020 lbs.  Remember, your truck is a light duty pickup.

The brochure weights are a fiction - forget them. As Carl says, they usually leave out several pieces of "optional" equipment that your trailer will almost assuredly have installed. And you will be amazed at what the thing actually weighs after you've made a couple camping trips!  :eek:  Food and drinks, lawn chairs, BBQ, propane, maybe your golf clubs, whatever. It all adds up - sometimes it seems as though it multiplies arther than adds!

Then you have to subtract a few things from that max tow rating too. Things like the weight of the trailer hitch itself and your wifes weight, as well as anything else you carry in the truck.

In short, that trailer is going to equal and almost surely exceed your truck's tow capacity. You can gamble since its short distances and flat terrain, but do you reallywant to do that?  Best you look for a somewhat lighter trailer. Or a bigger truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom