Need South Dakota Attorney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Hello Once Again,

South Dakota is my legal domicile state.  Therefore, anything dealing with estate/inheritance/wills etc. has to be in accordance with SD requirements, and notarized?, certified? as such.  I have a legal will currently, but have decided I want a Trust instead.  My situation is VERY simple, I have no living relatives so cash and investments will be directly given to charitable entities, and handled by Schwab through beneficiary designations.  Don't need a trust or will or anything for that to happen.

The trust will include my truck and trailer, (which I then have to re-title and re-register) and I have a trusted person to take over upon my demise.

SO - I know there are others who have SD as their domicile state.  Can anyone recommend a SD attorney who can prepare a legal Trust Document for me and my simple needs without requiring me to be interviewed endlessly by their assistant collecting useless data, and who would work remotely with me to get this accomplished?

Again, many thanks
Linda

Personal recommendations are good. If all else fails, call the local Bar Association and ask for a referral to the type of lawyer you need. Here in Ca each county has their own Bar, and I've used referrals in several different counties and states.

Escapees CEO Shawn Loring has a law office in Livingston, and he and his law partner Susie Adams probably have more experience with domicle law than anyone else in the country.  Give them a call, they only practice in Texas but I'm sure they can recommend a South Dakota attorney.

Great ideas, and thank you all.  I'll be pursuing this soon when I get settled in for the next two months down in Tucson.  Covid got me thinking through all this planning for the end stuff, but I've been slow to keep moving ahead with things.  A South Dakota attorney was one of the stumbling blocks, but now I've got some ideas.

Linda

If you have any military background, I can recommend you the Marine Corps Military Defense Lawyers - Court-Martial Attorneys | Gonzalez & Waddington - Attorneys At Law. They will arrange everything for you remotely and in no time. If not, try The Escapees CEO Shawn Loring has a law office in Livingston. He and his law partner Susie Adams probably have more experience with domicile law than anyone else in the country. Give them a call, they only practice in Texas, but I'm sure they can recommend a South Dakota attorney.

In the year 2000, my wife put together a living trust between myself,, her,, and my daughter.. She got all the legal info online and drew it up with all the provisions,,and attachments.. Then registered it with the county we live in.. An attorney where she works looked it over and made no changes,, all we had were filing fee's..>>>Dan

If you have any military background, I can recommend you the Marine Corps Military Defense Lawyers - Court-Martial Attorneys | Gonzalez & Waddington - Attorneys At Law. They will arrange everything for you remotely and in no time. If not, try The Escapees CEO Shawn Loring has a law office in Livingston. He and his law partner Susie Adams probably have more experience with domicile law than anyone else in the country. Give them a call, they only practice in Texas, but I'm sure they can recommend a South Dakota attorney.
Note that the OP passed away not too long back, so she obviously won't be able to see this.

Note that the OP passed away not too long back, so she obviously won't be able to see this.
Yes and at first I was put off about the insensitivity of jumping on a 1.5 year post. But after giving it some thought I’ve come to realize that the poster meant no harm and posting to older posts happens all the time and it surely doesn’t matter to Linda.

Also serves as a good reminder to me that I’ve got some updating to do on our wills that I keep putting off.
So thanks, Linda! And I hope you got that taken care of in time!

Yes and at first I was put off about the insensitivity of jumping on a 1.5 year post. But after giving it some thought I’ve come to realize that the poster meant no harm and posting to older posts happens all the time and it surely doesn’t matter to Linda.

Also serves as a good reminder to me that I’ve got some updating to do on our wills that I keep putting off.
So thanks, Linda! And I hope you got that taken care of in time!
I'm sure she would have had it sorted out. Apparently her cat Sara was to go to a Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. Probably the one in Kanab. I asked about her cat when I was there the other week but they couldn't tell me anything. I donated after due passed away and left a memorial. That lady really touched my soul. ❤️

Sorry for bumping the thread. Though I don’t have a specific attorney recommendation for you, I suggest checking out online legal directories or asking for referrals from friends or local community groups. While I don't have personal experience with probate and estate cases, I can share a recent experience I had.

Sorry for bumping the thread. Though I don’t have a specific attorney recommendation for you, I suggest checking out online legal directories or asking for referrals from friends or local community groups. While I don't have personal experience with probate and estate cases, I can share a recent experience I had.
I actually reached out to a workers' compensation attorney myself not too long ago. I had suffered a work injury and wanted to explore my options for compensation. It was reassuring to have an attorney who specialized in that area and could guide me through the process. So, even though our legal needs differ, I can definitely relate to the importance of finding the right attorney for your specific situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum.
This post was started nearly 3 years ago and the poster hasn’t been back for nearly 2 years. Don’t think he’ll reply.

Sadly, the original poster Linda Ellis (DreamsEnd) passed away about 2 years ago. We camped with her a number of times, and she was a nice woman.

She was an inspiration. I think she knew she didn't have long and was determined to keep living till her dreams did end. I loved meeting her and our emails after that. Really clever and interesting lady and I'm sad she's gone.

Sadly, the original poster Linda Ellis (DreamsEnd) passed away about 2 years ago. We camped with her a number of times, and she was a nice woman.
My wife (also a Linda) and I met her at that little breakfast spot on Kuehin St. in Quartzsite one time. Now they're both probably sitting around the table sharing coffee and stories. She was a great lady.

Back
Top Bottom