Need to clean black tank before fixing crack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

Thanks all for the very helpful advice on fixing the crack in my black tank. I'm ready to fix, but was told I need to clean the tank very thoroughly and let it dry first. I'm permanently parked beside my house and can only dump into my septic system. Someone mentioned hydrogen peroxide would clean well, and then if diluted enough, wouldn't harm the septic. I also have some Thetford tissue digester and some Roebic K-570. What do folks recommend?

We clean ours as described in this post....

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the few chemicals that will not harm a septic system. Roebic K-570 is a bacterial product for septic systems as well so isn't at all likely to harm the system but it also requires time for bacteria to do their work, while the hydrogen peroxide would be pretty quick in terms of germ killing. The Thetford product would be my last choice.

The use of a power washer to clean the tank would depend a great deal on what was being used other than water. I am sure that it would clean the tank the most but without more knowledge it would be impossible to say what impact that would have on your septic system.

Hydrogen peroxide is one of the few chemicals that will not harm a septic system. Roebic K-570 is a bacterial product for septic systems as well so isn't at all likely to harm the system but it also requires time for bacteria to do their work, while the hydrogen peroxide would be pretty quick in terms of germ killing. The Thetford product would be my last choice.

The use of a power washer to clean the tank would depend a great deal on what was being used other than water. I am sure that it would clean the tank the most but without more knowledge it would be impossible to say what impact that would have on your septic system.
We only used water

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom