Need to replace the shut off valve on my propane tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supercab78

The shut off valve on my permanent propane tank leaks a little. Is there a reason that I should not use a valve off of a portable 20# tank?  If so please explain because I can't think of any reason. The RV is a 25 year old class C.     

Is this a horizontal tank?  If so, it is a different valve than on a 20# vertical.  All the reason you need.  You probably don't want to hear it, but if the tank is as old as the RV, it is probably time to replace it.  Propane is nothing to mess with.  Get the right valve or a new tank. 

I second Bill's suggestion.  Don't mess with an old tank.  Also, the valve on a portable 20# tank may not work on your tank.  IAC, you need to have an OPD valve (Overfill Prevention Device) that shuts off the incoming propane when the tank is 80% filled.

The valve from a vertical [DOT] 20# tank will not function correctly in your motorhome tank because the OPD mechanisn is oriented the wrong way and calbrated for a different size tank as well.  The OPD, which is basically a float valve, has to be designed and calibrated for a specific tank configuration.

There may be other differences as well, but these alone are suffcient to disquality the DOT tank valve.

Thanks for your replies! I did a search online and found the proper valve for my tank, $60 total. You guys are right I'll sleep better knowing it has the proper valve. I didn't replace the tank because when  I took it out and repainted it about 10 years ago it only had surface rust on it. This time it was the same way.

I didn't replace the tank because when  I took it out and repainted it about 10 years ago it only had surface rust on it.

Famous last words.

I know I am new here, but really, that kind of logic is  scarey.

Photo

that kind of logic is  scarey

You're right, and I loved the picture  {ROTFL} while thinking about the sobering reality your picture illustrates.

Agreed with everyone else:  No shortcuts with propane..your life is at stake!

I was just reading the guidlines for tank inspection... Surface rust is not an indicator of condemnation, simple cleaning and painting is enough

There are rules now days for propane tanks, a new tank must be inspected at 12 years of age

And every five years after that,  This inspection (Recertification actually) is done by professional, trained, certifiers

And a leaking valve would necessitate repair or replacement

Note; The book I"m reading (Woodall's RV Owner's Handbook) suggests replacement is normally less expensive than repair

It also talks about how to keep the tank in good condition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom