Need to sell new Class A Gasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1PlasticMan1

I am inheriting a 2020 Class A that I do not want.  It is very nice, built by a popular manufacturer, but don't like the layout, and I already have a fairly new coach.  The dealer will not take it back without a tremendous discount on what they were paid originally. It is untitled. Where can I go to advertise and sell this coach at fair market value?

It's going to be difficult to sell an untitled coach,, that would raise many red flags.  It also will cause you to take a major hit that you would take at the dealers anyway.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
It's going to be difficult to sell an untitled coach,, that would raise many red flags.  It also will cause you to take a major hit that you would take at the dealers anyway.>>>Dan

Agree. The buyer's understandable concern will be taking ownership and registering after purchase, and delays without a title would be significant. Highly suggest, no matter the expense or trouble, getting it titled. Without the title, will be nearly impossible to sell at a price anywhere near its value

Let me clear the "untitled" part.  All the papers (Certificate of Origin and Factory Warranty) to title the coach will be provided.  As I don't want it, will not use it, don't want the expense of titling it and paying sales tax.  Nothing illegal going on here.

1PlasticMan1 said:
Nothing illegal going on here.

No one is suggesting anything illegal is going on, but I think it's worth investigating what the buyer will have to go through to title it before you list it for sale. If you have to lower the price significantly to sell it, it may well be worth the expense of titling it.

Could be no issue for an educated buyer, but I think many will shy away no matter your explanation. There are lots of rigs out there with which you'll be competing.

The MCOA is as good as a title, but potential buyers are not likely to be familiar with it and that's a complication.

You are going to take a bath on the value, no matter what.  You can advertise the coach on websites like RVT.com and Rvtrader.com, but most buyers are going to want a substantial discount from the original sale price.  You might consider using a reputable consignment agent as well, e.g. PPL Motorhomes in Houston. But that's going to add a sales fee to an already low price.
How much is that "tremendous discount" the selling dealer is offering?  It might be as good as you are going to get. Especially if the original buyer didn't negotiate a steep discount off MSRP to begin with. 

X2 You inherited it so you are not out of pocket, knock 30% off the MSRP and be prepared to dicker. Whatever you get is money in your jeans. I am assuming the estate paid out any lien.

Personally I would place an ad on RV trader briefly explaining why such a new coach is on the "used" market and see what happens.

We all got caught up in the RV question and forgot how one inherits anything - sorry for your loss.

Back2PA said:
We all got caught up in the RV question and forgot how one inherits anything - sorry for your loss.

Yes, I am sorry for your loss.  As someone in my mid 40's, I am always saddened to see someone who purchased an RV recently and needs to sell it due to health issues.  A new RV is a big purchase and sometimes people put it off until they retire.  Nothing wrong with that but it reminds me to make sure I take advantage of every day. 

1PlasticMan1 said:
The dealer will not take it back without a tremendous discount on what they were paid originally
What is the amount of the discount quoted by the dealer?

Have you put it on this forums for sale site.  Where is it located, still at the dealers?  What state?

Guess I should not have posted this so soon.  It is my understanding through the executor, who has talked to the dealer, that the coach is still under construction at the factory.  The executor is not that familiar with RVs and really doesn't have much information at this time.  He asked me to step back until the assets of the estate are finalized.  I just wanted to know how to get rid of it once the estate is cleared, whenever that will be.
Thank you all for your condolences. 

So when you say " It is untitled." What you mean is it has never been registered not that you/it doesn't have a title. There is a big difference.
I would take it or have it taken to PPL and let them sell it for you.
Bill

Since the coach hasn't been delivered yet, it seems like one option would be to forfeit the deposit and walk away from the deal.  However, since you aren't the executor, that's not your call.  Of course, that option may not be workable if your relative paid in full in advance. 

Assuming you eventually get title (or MCOA) for this coach and its already paid for rather than financed, there are two different strategies you could embark on:
1. Minimal effort on your part
2. Maximum dollar recovery

Minimal effort is to accept whatever the dealer offers for it (you can negotiate) or to turn the rig over to a consignment reseller. I'd work with PPL or other major (and reputable) consignment agent to get a credible estimate of a selling price and see what the selling dealer (and other local dealers) might offer for it. Be very careful of agents who merely promise high prices but can produce no track record of completed sales. There are a lot of those.

Maximizing the dollars requires personal effort to list the coach for sale in multiple places for max exposure and more than a little of your time and effort to take photos, send them to interested parties, answer questions, listen to offers (some of which will be off-the-wall), and fend off sales people who want to help you sell it (for a price, of course).  And perhaps pay storage fees and a sales commission.

You need to consult a lawyer who is familiar with trusts and wills.

An executor is just a  regular person who usually has no experience in law.

1PlasticMan1 said:
... once the estate is cleared, whenever that will be.

Don't hold your breath.  The probate process can be glacially slow. 

Arch Hoagland said:
You need to consult a lawyer who is familiar with trusts and wills.

Very sound advice.  If you can find an attorney who's also experienced in estate planning, that's a bonus.  It is most unwise to expect that the process will automatically safeguard your interests.

Best of luck to you in this difficult time.

Back
Top Bottom