Need to tow 7500 lbs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bralyman

I need to be pointed in the right direction to buy a used A,C, or bus that will tow 7,500 lbs. I would prefer 30 ft. but know I will probably need to go longer. Also think I want at least a 300hp diesel for power up hills. Has anyone made a short ,stout, powerful rig? What chassis will I need to go to and what makes and models were made on that chassis? I can beef up the hitch if the rest pencils.

bralyman said:
I need to be pointed in the right direction to buy a used A,C, or bus that will tow 7,500 lbs. I would prefer 30 ft. but know I will probably need to go longer. Also think I want at least a 300hp diesel for power up hills. Has anyone made a short ,stout, powerful rig? What chassis will I need to go to and what makes and models were made on that chassis? I can beef up the hitch if the rest pencils.
What price range?  There are some nice Class C rigs that use Semi front chassis with very large engines and can tow up to 30K.  Look at the Dynamax brand.  Not many used and they are kind of pricey. 
      I know you said used so You may be looking for a shorter DP MH.  I would bet most of the DP would tow 7500 easily but check the specs before you buy.  Also, are you going to tow in the mountains?  If so then I would cheat back on the specs and go with more grunt to get up those hills.

Good luck.

Winnebago makes their Journey diesel pusher in a nice 32 foot model that gives a lot of value for the money. Depending on how much you load it with gear, it might handle 7500 lb tow with the standard chassis, but their is a chassis upgrade option that gives it a 10,000 lb towing capacity even when loaded to its full GVWR.  Power is a 300 HP Cummins 5.9L wiht a 6 speed Allison tranny.  There is an equivalent Itasca model too, the Meridian 32T, which has the higher capacity chassis as standard.

Country Coach has a 32 foot that will handle a 10k tow, but the price is considerably above the Winnebago/Itasca models.

Alpine Coach (made by Western RV) makes a 34' motorhome which will tow up to 10,000 lbs. It comes with a 400 hp engine and is priced somewhere between the Journey and the Country Coach.

Ken Tarkin (currently in Elk, WA)

bralyman said:

The American Coach series by Fleetwood will tow 10K but they are in the 40' range.

You should check out truck conversions.  Lots of RVs these days on the Freightliner M2 or Columbia chassis.  As mentioned Dynamax is one manufacturer but there are others who build them one at a time and have been around for a while - so finding a used one is possible.  Dynamax is the only one I know of that is making them under 30' though, and only for the last couple of years - making used ones rare.  However, you can have mine for the right price  (Just kidding)

Friend of mine in Highland IL has a Rig for sale, if you would like to talk to him please contact me. 

I'm in the exact same situation....I'm a diehard Ford guy, but found that the Class C+ Endura and Ultra, made by Gulf Stream on the Chevy Kodiak chassis, will tow 10,000# and drives and handles very nicely....new gas engine powered are in the 70's and the diesel is in the upper 90's-100's....I havent seen many used ones around, so I'm not sure what they'd go for....

Howdy.
Please consider a used Blue Bird Wanderlodge. It can tow 7500 lbs easily. There are a number of Blue Bird groups on Yahoo where you can get info.  http://autos.groups.yahoo.com.

Regards,
Liz

American Coach, Country Coach, and Monaco as well as others can also tow 7500 LBS easily.  However one does have to be aware that in some of the older models the limiting factor may be the hitch that was installed.  Our Eagle has a 10K hitch installed and I am quite sure the above mentioned rigs do to. Another consideration is available horse power.  As I recall the rule of thumb for diesel power is 1 horse power for every 100 lbs.  I.E 300 horse power should be able to handle a combined Gross weight of 30,000 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom