Negotiating for a class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

I am in the process of deciding on a class A diesel motorhome.  What should I expect to be able to negotiate off of the  MSRP?  I have been told somewhere between 20-25%.  The dealer I have been talking to has told me Monaco has a set price they go off of.  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks 

That's ull in my estimation.  Whenever he gets to the bottom deal  Walk  and make sure he has your number Shoot him a lower price and wait  He'll call.  Then negociations can begin.  Good Luck  cause there is no set price.  Check several dealers all over.  It's the same unit  some want more profit than others  Go for it;

Torchbearer said:
The dealer I have been talking to has told me Monaco has a set price they go off of.

That's utter nonsense he's feeding you. Where are you located?

I am located in Knoxille, Tn.  So, is it fair to say there is no set discount.  I found a dealer on line and I can't remember the web address, I  have been trying to find it for a couple of days now, but he advertises 25% off of MSRP on all of his listings.  The best I have been able to get around here is 22-23%.  That seems pretty close, but 2-3% of a $217,000 MSRP is quite a bit of money.

The only "set price" is the MSRP - Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price - that is shown on the factory sticker. What a dealer is willing to discount to make a sale varies - some will  go only to 10-15% while others may reach 20-25%.  The percentage typically increases with the price so your 22-23% may be the best you can do on $217K rig. High volume sales outfits like Lazy Days typically can discount the most.  Since you are talking about Monaco producs, try DeMartini (locations in Elkhart, Indiana & California), Pedata (Arizona), and John Bleakley (Georgia) and Lazy Days (Florida).

I assume you are aware that the Holiday Rambler and Monaco lines are essentialy interchangeable, with only tiny differences in color schemes and trim to distinguish them.

Also Montana and N Dakota  At least they advertize  for less.

Thanks for your help.  I willl check out these other dealers and see how that works.  I did not know Holiday Rambler was that close in relationship to Monaco.  I will check them out as well.  Thanks again.

Not sure about Monaco except Byers in St Louis area, but I do know a dealer willing to haggle over Tiffen Allegro another fine unit, in Florida   

My observation has been that when a dealer really wants to get rid of a unit, he can cut around 33% off the MSRP.? [That implies the MSRP is ~50% over his cost.]? You're not going to get that on a current-year model that's selling reasonably well, though.

I did not know Holiday Rambler was that close in relationship to Monaco.
Monaco owns HR and also Beaver & Safari. The motorhomes are built in the same plants and on the same assembly lines, using the same components.  In particular, the HR and Monaco brands are nearly identical, model for model.  I was at the Indiana plant about 6 weeks ago and the tour guide said the only differences between the models were color schemes and the shape of the windshield.

While I was shopping (closed Oct. 12), I discovered some dealers had phony build sheets.? They appeared to be factory "stickers," but the numbers had been jacked up.? I had acquired stickers from several dealers in several areas, local and internet.? There is no Monrony Act for motor homes, so this is not illegal (though I would consider it a deceptive trade practice if I were on the jury).? I eliminated dealers who did this, of course.? When all was said and done the deal I got locally matched the best internet deal.? I'll be local for a year before retiring and traveling, so having a good relationship with the servicing dealer is important.? I negotiate for a living, so I got a good price, but I didn't make any enemies at the store.? This may or may not be important to you, but it is good business.

The percentage off real MSRP I got was higher than the averages mentioned above, but I bought a '06 Dutch Star that had been there for a year, and they were ready to sell it.? I also got an interest rate no one could beat and zero down (still have a house to sell, need all available cash).? But I didn't buy their expensive extended warranty.

So far it's been great.? The first trip involved 300 miles each way and dry camping for 4 days in 40-80? weather, testing every system in the coach.? The only problem has been the @#$%! satellite TV dish.? It has only worked at the dealer, and it's back at the dealer now for that.? They're also installing satellite radio (finally) as the wrong parts came in twice.? Satellite internet, however, is fantastic.? It's important that we have internet even after we retire, and that item worked in the middle of nowhere so remote no one had any phone service.

Back
Top Bottom