Negotiating roundabouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BernieD said:
Ron

CNv5 always got us around Boise very well except for finding the Costco that closed a couple of years ago and moved a few miles away ;D ;D

Led us down a road to get on the Freeway but the problem was there was no entrance to the freeway the road ended at the freeway. Lucky we didn't have the MH and toad.  Would have required disconnecting and a long backup to get out of there.  There were a couple other issues too.

Ron

>> when City Nav get lost, like around Boise.<<

I think you & Jerry Fitzgerald may not have all your City Nav maps loaded or have other problems....In Eugene, OR his couldn't guide him correctly to some restaurants that mine led me to perfectly.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Terry A. Brewer said:
Ron

>> when City Nav get lost, like around Boise.<<

I think you & Jerry Fitzgerald may not have all your City Nav maps loaded or have other problems....In Eugene, OR his couldn't guide him correctly to some restaurants that mine led me to perfectly.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

It is City Nav didn't work any better on the SPIII either.? I could kinda understand the first version and maybe even the second lacking but for the price they get it should be absolutly perfect.? I think the next GPS purchase may be Magellan or something else.? As much as I like the Garmin unit their City Nav is very lacking.?

Ron

>> I could kinda understand the first version and maybe even the second lacking but for the price they get it should be absolutely perfect.<<

There is no mapping program that is PERFECT,? the map info would have to be downloaded daily like anti-virus software to keep up with all he new building & new POI's. Unfortunately for some reading a map or using a GPS still requires a person to monitor it &? use common sense in interpreting it. I drive with both the 2610 & Delorme on a PC as they both have their strengths but are far from perfect, thank goodness I can still override them if I think they are wrong.

Terry
At Yuma, AZ

Terry,

We use not only the 2620 and Street Atlas, but a paper map as well.  Never know when the power will fail :)

I understand that there may be an occasional error however City Nav errors are not occasional.  What really gets me some of these errors have been in every ver of City Nav.  Going to Godwards it tries to take us on the wrong side of the freeway and then routes us across the freeway where there is no bridge.  Same as two versions 4.  Today again it tries to route us off the correct road onto a scenic route that would take us 20 miles off the correct route.  However, switching over to the old version of Metro Guide show the route correctly.  IMHO City Nav is a piece of overpriced piece of junk.  Hope the new version is better but I wouldn't count on it.  They haven't even come close to the accuracy they had with Metro Guide.  The only way I would even consider getting the new version would be if they would give me a money back guarantee.

Ned said:
Terry,

We use not only the 2620 and Street Atlas, but a paper map as well.  Never know when the power will fail :)

Ned,

SPIII and Street Atlas with Pat looking at the paper map. At least now she knows the top of the map is North! ;D

Ron said:
What really gets me some of these errors have been in every ver of City Nav.  Going to Godwards it tries to take us on the wrong side of the freeway and then routes us across the freeway where there is no bridge.  Same as two versions 4.  Today again it tries to route us off the correct road onto a scenic route that would take us 20 miles off the correct route. 

Ron

It sounds like you are still using v6 so the mistakes the software made in the past in routing you would still exist. IIRC v7 was right on the button routing us to the Godwards (we were westbound on I-90).

You are correct Bernie I have been a slow learner by buying every ver since new up through ver 6.  They were all bad and not as accurate as my old metro guide ver 4.01.  Like I said when Garmin gains enough confidence in their City Nav product to offer a money back Guarantee I don't plan on throwing any more money their way.  I guess I'm just spoiled since when I bought the SPIII Metro Guide was their routable map program and I was impressed with how good it was.  I have also been very impressed with each version of City Nav but NOT favorably impressed.  City Nav commands a premium price for a junk product IMHO.

Ron said:
LOL. I hadn't thought of that Carl.? Do you suppose the Magic Roundabout? actually originated after or while? the designing engineer visited the Magic Kingdom?? Could there be a connection? ;D ;D ;D

Naah, I would bet on the lad having a British source for Tijuana ditchweed.

Ron said:
You are correct Bernie I have been a slow learner by buying every ver since new up through ver 6.  They were all bad and not as accurate as my old metro guide ver 4.01.  Like I said when Garmin gains enough confidence in their City Nav product to offer a money back Guarantee I don't plan on throwing any more money their way.  I guess I'm just spoiled since when I bought the SPIII Metro Guide was their routable map program and I was impressed with how good it was.  I have also been very impressed with each version of City Nav but NOT favorably impressed.  City Nav commands a premium price for a junk product IMHO.

Well, you've bought more versions than I ;D  I just bought v7, the first upgrade since I had v4 on my SPIII and v5 on my 2610. Based on your comments, I bypassed v6. Like you, I also keep MetroGuide 4.01 on my memory card, aren't 1GB cards wonderful  ;D ;D ;D

To me, the jury is still out on v7. I had lots of directional errors and a number of POIs that I expected to find are not listed. One of these days I have to get a punch list off to Garmin. By the way, I like Streets and Trips but do not find it any more accurate.

I got tired of sending error information to Garmin only to find the same error in the next version so I just decided that for $150 bucks they better do their own homework since they obviously didn't take any action on any of the items I sent in.  I am about to the point where I will just load Metro Guide 4.01 and use it since it has been far more accurate than any City Nave Version I've had up to Ver 6.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom