Neighbors - A touchy subject .... HELP !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayfair

I feel terrible posting this, but I have a question that I hope one you you experienced RV'ers can help me with.

A year or so ago we camped next to another family who seemed very nice at the time. We had a good weekend, and my ladyfriend exchanged numbers and promised to keep in touch. All was good.

This year, they've taken it upon themselves to book every weekend that we have and they've also booked their site right next to ours every time. I like these people, but in all honesty, they're getting on our nerves. We can't get away from them. They seem to follow us everywhere we go and pretty much plan their day around ours and include themselves.

What do we do?

We really like the campground that we camp at, and I honestly don't want to come on out and say "hey guy's - hit the bricks", but how can we get rid of them?

[size=16pt]HELP !!![/size]

Thanks guy's !!

Bummer & I agree it's a touchy subject.  Sounds like your stuck for this year, but next year don't let them know when you are coming.  Also, consider telling the campground that when you reserve for next year to not disclose whether or not you are there if anyone asks.  If they happen to be there when you are maybe they will get the clue.  Don't worry about hurting their feelings - they are adults.

Why not try being honest with them? If they are annoying you with their actions then what is wrong with annoying them? So what if they are your neighbors? You don't have any obligation to be nice to someone who invades your privacy. And what is wrong with cancelling your reservations and making different reservations?

I agree with seilerbird. Feeling obligated or thinking of them constantly will put a strain on your fun. If this happend to me, I'd make other arrangements. If a different campground is not an option, perhaps try moving to the other side of your reserved one? The wife and I never exchange info with other campers. If we meet some great people, we just enjoy their company and leave with a fond good-bye. Just my 2 cents...

We've had some great camping neighbors, but haven't yet exchanged info with anyone either.  But, I can see how you would given the right circumstances.  As others have said, just don't tell them every place you're going to be and when you'll be there.  Keep your plans vague, i.e. "we don't know quite yet when we'll be camping this year" etc.  Are you currently giving them all this information?  If not and they are getting your site # from the campground office, perhaps you could request that they not share that information.  And don't leave out the possibility of a "heart to heart" as already suggested, just explaining that you really enjoy camping together but would like some time to yourselves also.  No shame in that, and they might have initially hurt feelings but should also understand if they are reasonable adults.

Well hindsight is 50/50.

When we first met them, my ladyfriend was new into camping and I wanted her to enjoy it as much as possible. I figured that since she'd met someone ( female ) who she can sit down and chat with about camping, I'd have a better chance of getting her into it. Also, they have kids, and my ladyfriends kids got along with them and they played together. My ladyfriend exchanging her number was just something that she's used to doing. When they said that we'll have to do it again sometime, we didn't realize what they'd meant was EVERYTIME.

Uuuugh !!

We go to the same campground every weekend because we like it, we can afford it, and it's close. I really don't want to have to leave this campground at all. We've got other camping friends who we'll see once or maybe twice a year, but these people want to be around all of the time.

Ok, here's what happens.

When we met, they were frequent campers at the same campground. It was just a fluke that at one time we were placed next to each other. They know that we go every weekend, so when they call to book their site they just ask to be placed next to or near us. Asking the campground I suppose would work, however they'd still be over at our site as much as possible.

Yeah, it's not a complete solution but at least it would give you some break from them.  You could "sneak away" for your own plans and get them used to spending time alone.  ;)  A good talking-to might still be the best overall option, although maybe the most uncomfortable for you initially.

I've thought about the talking to option, but since they're also regulars there it would be awkward afterwards seeing them there, especially since their kids like to play with ours. It sucks. I honestly think that they want to be near us so that our kids will entertain theirs and then theirs won't be in their hair. Now we're babysitters !!

It's a real tough spot for sure.

You don't want to talk to your neighbors, you don't want to talk to the campground host and you don't want to change campgrounds. How do you expect anyone to come up with a solution? You are stuck with these people until you finally wake up and realize the problem is with you and not them. Sorry for being blunt, but the truth sometimes hurts.

I hear ya bird and I apologize if my questions are upsetting you. I'm in a tough spot. I guess I was hopeing to hear from someone who's had a similar experience and did such and such to resolve it with nobody's feelings getting hurt.

Options that are not confrontational:

1. Stay home and eventually they'll forget you.

2. Get out and explore.  Surely there's other campgrounds..., even if you have to drive a little farther.  Might turn out that you find one you like better.  See other places.

From our perspective, we don't particularly like camping at the same place over and over again.  We prefer to spend time seeing new places.

When I had that problem I just started camping in other locations and did not tell the others I was going out.  Some times we must take the bad with the good.  Who knows you might find another place that entices you to come back again.  One never knows until they try it.

I agree with the others.  Get out of the rut and venture out to other places / campgrounds and if you want to loose the neighbors just don't tell them where or when you are going.  Like others have mentioned you may just find places you like better.

I agree you are the one with the problem and the one looking for answers.  It seems to me that if you keep doing what your doing you can not expect a different result.  Your doomed to babysit till the kids are of age.

The answer is simple.  If you don't like the results then you MUST CHANGE what you are doing.  There are other campgrounds and other RV resorts.  As stated earlier you may find something you like better, at a very minimum the friendly neighbors will not be the same as you have now.

Maybe you will luck out and they also read this forum and your problem is over.  Did you tell them that you visit this forum?!  Either talk to them about how you feel, put up with it or move on!  Don't think you should expect the campground to handle it for you.  Best of luck!

Try bringing a crazy relative along a couple of times. Sometimes flagelent brothers are good for something.  ;D

Hey mayfair!  Thats you!  Oh man, you should have just told us you dont want us around....dang...

just kidding, its not us  :p

happened to us, so we started going to a state park near our house and they preferred the 5 star treatment to water/power only hookups...

So changing campgrounds for a little while helped.

searching said:
Hey mayfair!  Thats you!  Oh man, you should have just told us you dont want us around....dang...

just kidding, its not us  :p

Sorry that is just too funny!

Back
Top Bottom