Nevada Atomic Test Site Certificates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
Whilst in Las Vegas last June, we headed up to Mount Charleston for a wander around.  On the way back we did a stop at the information boards looking down into the Atomic Test Sites.  One of the boards said that employees were given certificates for each test.  I am wondering if anyone here has direct experience of that.  It sounded interesting.

Photos attached for reference, excuse poor quality, the board are quite old.

Also please don't turn this into a political discussion!

Attachments

• certificate.jpg
    certificate.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 63
  • card1.jpg
    card1.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 63
  • card2.jpg
    card2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 52
  • card3.jpg
    card3.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 50
Interesting. Thanks for posting. However, I can't help you on the history of giving certificates. But, I like that the leadership gave participants a clever memento after each test. I also like that the tests were given names rather than using some boring bureaucratic numbering system (like "B112ACR.001 test" LOL). 

To put this into the proper perspective you need to realize that many of the devices being tested were experimental in one way or another so the entire exercise was a large, expensive and time consuming effort that could easily take more than a year to bring to fruition.  This is not like exploding a conventional bomb on an ordnance range.  These were highly instrumented scientific experiments.

We visited the Atomic Museum in Vegas many years ago and it was fascinating and I think we will go back as we didn't see it all.

UTTransplant said:
Albuquerque has a fascinating atomic museum too.

If it's still shown there, the ABQ museum has a fascinating short movie entitled  "Ten Seconds That Shook the World".  It's grainy old black and white footage that tells the story of the Manhattan Project.  The "actors" in the film are the most important scientists of the 20th century all in one place at the same time.  A braintrust like the world had never seen before or since.

The magic of Ham Radio
Was talking to a ham last night and he was telling us of his plan to visit the Trinity Site (Site of first Atomic blast test) which is only open 2 days a year to the public.. April 1 and Oct 1....

Regularally scheduled Digital Radio net 9:30 Sundays (Eastern time)  Quadnet array so most all Modes of digital voice D-Star. DMR. YSF, Bandmaster and so on can join.

Back
Top Bottom