Never back up my towed: Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

I'm towing a 1999 Chevy Tracker, 4wd, manual trans.  Instructions from Chevy are to shift transfer case to neutral and trans to 2nd.  And never back up.  I'm trying to understand what's happening with the transmission/transfer case that it may not be backed up when being towed.  If I ever get into a spot where I can't drive forward out, I'll have to unhook the car and take each vehicle out separately.  Not the end of the world, but I was just wondering.

--pat

Pat:

I am not sure if Chevrolet has another reason but you can not back up a Toad without putting a terrific side load on the steering axle. Eventually it will snap the wheel to the left or right and may damage the tow bar or steering system.

You can back up a toad, but only if it's straight or nearly straight.  We've done it several times, but you need someone to watch, and as soon as the front wheels start to castor, or the tow bar kinks, you must stop.  We've backed up in a straight line as much as 20' that way.

What Ned said.  The danger is to the front end, tires, and tow bar, not the transission.

If you tow 4 down, drop the towed to back up, espically if turning corners

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom