New 2 U !!!! ???? Power supply

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dockrookie

???OK! I'm new to all of this and I need some help. I am wondering about powering my 23 ft Kiwi when we are not at a park that supplies the juice. Generator or Solar. Most of the power being used is for the lights, the furnace and the water heater and pump. But, I've got two small boys who like to watch movies and play PS2 ( anyone with boys will probably be able to relate. ) But anyhow, which should I choose???????

The quiet Honda 1000 and 2000 watt generators will do everything you mentioned. For a/c you'll need more power.

A generator suppplies juice. Solar doesn't. With solar, you have to have enough batteries to suply your power needs and you re-charge the batteries during the day with solar.  And you need to get enough sun to re-charge during the day.

The advantage of battery/solar is that it is silent and requires no gas can. The advantage of th genset is that it supplies full power immediately, day or night, rain or shine.

The cost of a super-quiet Honda eu1000i (1000 watt) is around $700-800, depending on where you buy it.. Additional batteries and a large solar panel will probably come close to that.

With the 2000 W unit it may be possible to run a small Air conditioner such as the coleman mini mach.  2000 W is almost 17 A at full load.  The Mini mach draws 8.2 A running and 15 A starting according to the specs.

Additionally, with just solar you would need an inverter to change the 12 volts d.c. to 120 a.c. for your tv(unless it's a 12 V unit) games, etc. I'm also hoping that your water heater is a combination propane/electric and not just electric; that would cause a huge drain on batteries, as would running an air conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom