New 2012 Thor Freedom Elite 23U LEAKS!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairbanks

Any helpful comments are appreciated;

I purchased a 2012 Thor Freedom Elite 23U in April.  It's still under warranty.  It has a significant leak from
the bottom of the cab-over bunk, onto the passenger seat.  The service tech & I discovered it when I went to pick my RV up from the dealer's service dept. on Saturday.  (my RV was in service there because a different leak complaint in a different part of the RV)  Supposedly they fixed the original leak by caulking a window.

Could the leak have traveled when they sealed the window?

Now they want to pressurize the cabin, locate all the leaks with soap, then seal them.  By the way, the General Manager of the dealership won't answer my calls.

Resealing the Rv will cover up future problems.  I will be left with a new RV that has soaked insulation, framework, interior & exterior plywood etc.  I feel that the unit has been compromised and that I will have structural damage in the future.

It does not fall under my state's Lemon Laws, because it is part of the "living quarters", and not part of the
Ford chasis.  I've considered complaining to my state's Attorney General (Florida), & Better Bus. Bureau.

I've requested by email (since my phone calls go unanswered) a meeting with my salesrep & the General Manager, but haven't heard back from them.

Guess I've got a "snowball's chance"  of getting a refund, but I'm going to ask for it anyway!

Is there anyone out there with similar problems?  Does anyone on the forum have viable solutions?ur

Thank you in advance for your comments.

I feel for you, nothing like a new item that turns out to be a lemon. My suggestion would be to document everything, put it on a spreadsheet and keep all paperwork. Be certain you have a work order for each visit with the proper notations. Get an independent surveyor or insurance investigator to check it over and document findings. Then serve court papers.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I never thought of getting an insurance inspector.  I'll check into florida court options, too!  Your comments are deeply appreciated.    Fairbanks

Since your is a new unit, I doubt that any real damage has been done yet. Usually takes a while and a lot of moisture before structural damage is done. Resealing is part of the ongoing maintenance an owner will face on his own anyway over the years of ownership. Having the RV dealer handle it now should be fine. You were fortunate the problem was found by the RV dealer before delivery. That said, one would definately not expect any leaks right off the bat in a new motorhome. These things should be checked out before they are sold. A replacement motorhome would be a nice gesture on the part of the RV dealer.

I encountered a similar issue with a new coach...ask to speak with CEO of the dealership ....than call president of the mfr...you will probably only get the secretary ...that's ok...push for an internal inspection of the area of concern..take pictures and send in an e mail to all concerned of the potential area of concern..... This is a negotiation that requires respective aggressiveness to reach the conclusion you seek.

Thanks to billwild & ditto for the speedy response.  Your comments are practicle and informing. 

New Update:  The dealership pressurized the unit yesterday.  I was present.  After pressurizing the unit, they sprayed soap on the outside.  Leaks occur by bubbling on the outside ... It had more bubbles than a Lawrence
Welk TV show!!!  Now they want to tear out the overhead bunk area from the inside to chase the leaks.
I think it's time to move to the next level with my consumer complaint.

billwild said:
Since your is a new unit, I doubt that any real damage has been done yet.
I disagree.  Since the OP has experienced water dripping this would indicate a lot of water trapped under the bunk area with no way to dry out.  It will likely cause rot, mold/mildew (health issue) and delamination of the Filon.  I believe the only way to resolve this is to have the factory (or possibly dealer) tear down and completely rebuild the bunk overhang.

Thanks for the response, Tom & Joyce.

They are talking about doing a teardown.  I'm still worried that even if they do,
it will weaken the integrity of the coach.

By the way, I ALWAYS thank a vet.

I understand your concerns fairbanks. But as long as the dealer is actively chasing the problem, you don't have a good claim to force a trade or a refund, yet.  I agree that they should tear down the bunk area and see where the problems are.  That shouldn't compromise the integrity of the unit though.  However, I would ask for an extended warranty against leaks and dry rot due to the problems you have encountered so far. 

Hope your problem has been fixed, but if not contact Thor 877-500-1020 (Shirley). They are great and stand behind they product. While your there take a tour of the assembly lines, very interesting. They were great and fixed my 2013 28z when the dealer couldn't or wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom