New Adventure for an old man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Three years back my wife Patsy started getting really sick and could no longer travel. After about a year we decided to sell our motorhome as we could no longer travel. Sadly Patsy passed away back in January. I really missed her and had a really bad time mentally for several months, still do.
Well 8 months later, I decided I needed to get back out there. I purchased a well used 1999 Coachman Class C camper. After spending $2K on the generator and a few hundred more on small items. Needed the generator as I will be doing a lot of boondocking alone the way.
Planning to leave Sunday, Aug 7. First destination Petersburg Va. Thinking of staying at Camptown Campground, anybody know anything about that place?? Found recently that my Great Grandfather fought and was injured at the Battle of the Wilderness, and later fought and was captured at the Siege of Petersburg. I'm going to visit both parks.
After that I have friends now living near Emigrant Montana. Leaving Va, I will start working my way there. Don'tn know how long it may take my, but not in a hurry.
May make several stops alone the way.
It will be just me at 76 years old, Taz my 22 year old cat that has traveled all over this great country in our other RV's, and Jake my 10 year old hound dog that made about half those trips. BTW I am taking my Harley motorcycle on a trailer so me and my buddy can ride in Montana and maybe Yellowstone.
Wish us luck and I will report back in along the way.

Yellowstone has massive flooding right now and visitation is down very severely. If you do get in you will have half as many tourists (yeah) but only half the park to see. If I were you I would avoid Yellowstone right now and save it for another trip. I suggest going to Grand Tetons NP instead. I actually prefer GT over YS.

I am sorry for your loss. Even though you might feel a little lonely I think you will be glad to get back into traveling. I think it is great that you are able to visit places where your family has a history.

Sorry to hear of Patsy's passing, Jerry. I was wondering why I hadn't seen anything from you lately. I lost my own wife just a year ago and share your pain.

Good to hear you are getting back on the road and re-starting your life. Check in now & again so we can keep up with your progress.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your wife. You are a true inspiration to me to get out there and continue living life through tragedy. Thank you, and sending love to you, sir.

We just returned from the Yellowstone area three weeks ago. We spend an afternoon in the park entering via the West Yellowstone entrance. Spent a half day in the park including a half hour at Old Faithful. While we didn't drive the entire park, at least the part we toured didn't have any issues with flood damage. A few days earlier, we drove from Livingston to Gardner. That entrance to the park is closed but the drive in was great. Not much traffic but beautiful scenery. The rain has greened the park considerably. I would not hesitate to return and if I still had a motorcycle, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Condolences on the loss of your dear wife.

Good to hear you are getting back on the horse.

Check the park website for Yellowstone. Most of the roads have reopened. We are heading there on Sunday for 3 nights.

From park website:

Approximately 93% of paved roads and 94% of Yellowstone’s backcountry is currently open to the public.

Lamar Valley inaccessible as is the town of Gardiner I believe but most of the rest open. I think it's a bit quieter than normal as they are advertising rooms and rv spaces which is unusual.

I'll let you know how we find it.

Meantime enjoy your trip with the gang.

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's great to hear you're getting back on the road and resuming your life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom