New arrival, taking some time to consider the options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grizgrin

Hi y'all. I'm trying to figure out of going to a full-time RV lifestyle is right for me.

I am divorced with 2 kids that own me and their mom both. I spend at least half of each year out of the country, during which my house sits empty. I am not in love with the house, and would like to travel a bit more to see family when I AM home. This desire would eat away at my occupancyt of the home, reducing it further and making the place even less use to me than it is now. Plus, having a house just sitting there for weeks on end with no one in it is just a busted pipe away from pure disaster. One option is renting. Another is RV'ing. I don't need a lot of space, and my kids don't really either. 

I am particularly liking the idea of a travel trailer in the 30' range, but know nothing about the requirements of said so am not welded to the idea.

So, I'll be poking my nose about your forums here and asking stupid noob questions. Hope y'all are doing well and thanks for the information in advance.

Good morning, grizgrin.

I have been camping for many years (horse trailer with horses) but I now have a 5th wheel toyhauler and hope to, say in the next 5 years become a full timer. well have to sell the house first. but working on that now. And joining this group is pretty cool, Like you I do not need nearly as much stuff and room as I used to. Good luck with your choices.

Karen

Ho grizgrin and welcome to the RV Forum.  It sounds as though an RV would work well for you, but they aren't carefree when unoccupied either.  And they have to be stored somewhere, or parked on a year-around site (if in an area where the climate permits that sort of thing).

@KarenS: Thanks, and good luck with your decision on when to hang up the keys to the stick built!

@Gary RV Roamer: Copy that and understood, Gary. I have been looking at storage units for some of my stuff that I wouldnt be getting rid of. Mostly to keep a few toys, off season clothing. Many storage places in my area offer boat/RV/camper storage. I figure that a fenced compound with cameras makes for a bit of security, possibly some insurance to fill in the chinks there. Having some problems locating places to stay with the TT, however. Found a few in my area but getting the feeling I am not running across all the resources for locating RV sites yet. Are we limited to just RV parks, or if you aren't afraid of boondocking what other options do you have? Where do I stick this thing once I get it, lol?

Boondocking is somewhat limited east of the Mississippi, and the need for access to a sanitary dump is further limiting.

Some mobile home parks will take RVs.

What area are you looking in? Does it have to be that area? One of the advantages of an RV is that it is very mobile!

@Gary RV Roamer: I am looking in the Upstate of SC. A day spent wandering Google has given me about a dozen RV parks with a variety of reviews and offerings. I even found one that not only says no kids allowed, but defines "kids" as those under 45! Had a laugh at that one, but their property, their rules I guess.

You are right, the whole purpose of an RV is for roaming about, however I am a bit outside of that box as far as my planned usage. I have 2 boys (11,6) that I share with their mother, and own a stick built house 11 minutes from her house. Ideally, if I do any relocating, I want to live within 30 minutes of her house for the benefit of the kiddos (several RV parks in the area that I have found are within either that 30 minute range or what I refer to as "compromise range", lol).

You are asking essentially the same question in another board in this forum, which gets kind of confusing  when attempting to provide some answers. The other thread in which feedback has been give is:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=58668.msg539329#msg539329

An RV is no different when it comes to the busted pipe disaster. You handle it in the same way: turn off the water when you leave. Ditto for the electric, if you wish. And you still have to deal with the potential effect of a freeze while you are away, either providing heat or draining the plumbing. It's probably easier to drain water system on an RV, though. Most are made with that thought in mind.

GrizGrin.. A few parks I know of in Upstate SC.

Thousand Trails/Encore Carolina Landing, About 35-40 a night, (30/50 amps) Full hookup, Free wi-fi No cable but great Over the air TV  I'm on site A-31 next to the big pumpkin for the rest of this week.

South Cove (Oconee County,  30/50 amps, Seneca, SC Not far from the business area,  Water and 30/50 amps (Depending on site) all sites 12/night till March.

Hartwick Lake State Park.. Around 13-16/night (not sure) 30 amp, and water only.

Twin Lakes COE park 22-24/night 50 amp and water, if you are old enough there is a half off program (Wife is).  Nice LEVEL!!!! Sites (many sites at South cove are level too)

The government parks all have a dump station, no sewer on site though.

There are other private campgrounds around but those I know..  If you want more I can tell you.. Wife and I both love South cove by the way, Directions are easy too.

Gary RV Roamer said:
You are asking essentially the same question in another board in this forum, which gets kind of confusing  when attempting to provide some answers. The other thread in which feedback has been give is:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=58668.msg539329#msg539329
Very true and I shall try to continue over there. This was the "Hello World!" thread and it kinda went on from there. My fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom