New Battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Standard automotive engine start battery. As high a CCA as you can get for the size space to put it.

Green lights and soft breezes,

When you ask Gel or regular..  First note that there are at least, I stress AT LEAST (may be more) types of sealed Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries.  GEL is one of them... AGM and a slightly different wet cell are the  other two I know of.

I would NEVER, EVER even consider a gel cell for this kind of service.  But AGM and wet Maintenance free.

As for which is better.. (Sealed or not) depends on two things

1: How hard is it to get to it to service it.. Both my Motor home and my towed getting to the top of the battery to add water is a job of the female canine class (You do know the proper name for a dog's mother right, and you know a dog is a MALE of the canine family).  Rhymes with Witch.

2: How often you are willing to check (Assuming it's possible to do so)

I believe a properly maintained flooded wet cell is best.. The key words are "Properly maintained"

You know how often you check your batteries and thus should make a decision based on that

Standard wet cell if you don't mind regular checking,  VLRA if you do.

Gel does not do well in the high capacity sizes... Great in the lower and I do admit I often start my car on a 24 AH gel cell

Thanks all, it is not that hard to check all of the battiers on the MH so I will save a little money and go with a wet type.

Rich & Kay

RREngr said:
Thanks all, it is not that hard to check all of the battiers on the MH so I will save a little money and go with a wet type.

The problem is not in the ease of checking but actually doing the checking -- especially if the thing is in storage.

Yes I know what you mean, I try to go to storage ever 2 weeks to check the MH out. I start the engine and the gen and check the tires which I know are ok now because all 6 are new as of April of this year. Will not have to worry about storage next July as I will be retiring and we will be on the road most of the time.

Rich & Kay

RREngr said:
Yes I know what you mean, I try to go to storage ever 2 weeks to check the MH out. I start the engine and the gen and check the tires which I know are ok now because all 6 are new as of April of this year. Will not have to worry about storage next July as I will be retiring and we will be on the road most of the time.

If the MH is in use it is a good idea to increase that inspection of house batteries to weekly.

RREngr said:
Will not have to worry about storage next July as I will be retiring and we will be on the road most of the time.

Rich & Kay

Rich (and/or Kay) I do agree, that is beyond a doubt, the very best way, to store a motor home!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom