New Beaver Patriot, American Eagle or Monaco Signature? Ready to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larichhall

I realize opinions are like noses, everyone has one, BUT, I hope to buy within the next several days and would like opinions from this forum on these three manufacturers. Any significant problems? Reliablitiy? Service, etc? Or any other comparable  brand?
Thank you so much!

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Of the three you mentioned only the American Eagle has IFS which IMHO is a much better thing to have.  When we were shopping we had the chance to drive coaches with and without IFS sure eliminated some possibilities for us.  Others that do have IFS would be any of the American Coaches, Country Coach and Travel Supreme.  When shopping we just felt the IFS made a nicer and safer feeling ride.

larichhall

Thank you both, so much. Ron, your suggestion about the IFS is very important. We currently have a CC Inspire 2005. My husband says it drives better than anything else we've driven BUT we have had a TERRIBLE experience with the coach and service. It finally came down to our state's lemon law before CC quit giving us the run-around and got things taken care of properly. I'm not talking about the little nit-picky things but major problems like power loss, stalling out when pulling into traffic, up hills, etc. It spent a total of 5 months out of the first 12 in service centers. Naturally, I'm a little skittish about them.

Tom

Administrator
The Monaco Signature is a big step above the Beaver Patriot Thunder. There's a good reason Monaco doesn't put IFS on their coaches, including their high end coaches (built on Monaco's own Roadmaster chassis); With good chassis design, IFS is unnecessary.

Monaco will look after you as a customer, even if you buy the Beaver. From what I've heard/read, so will American Coach.

larichhall

Thanks, TOm
Where do you feel the Dynasty fits into this group? We're in Florida for an appliance market and plan to go to Lazydays on Friday and Saturday. We'll buy at that time if we can find the right coach and negotiate a good deal.

Tom

Administrator
The Signature is Monaco's top of the line, followed by the Executive, then the Dynasty. The Dynasty is still a very nice coach and everyone I've talked with who owns one is very happy with it. The Marquis is Beaver's top of the line, but still IMO a step below the Signature.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
One advantage of shopping at Lazy days is that you can drive and compare coaches.  Be sure to drive a Monaco which has no IFS and coaches with IFS such as American coaches and  country coach and I think Travel Supreme you will feel the difference I am sure.  We did.  I think the some of the Tiffin coaches also have IFS.

larichhall

Speaking of Tiffin, What do you thing of the Zephyr? Isn't it their top of the line? Their factory in Red Bay is only about 6hrs from where I live. After my experience with Country Coach, it sure would be nice to have a factory within a reasonable distance.

Tom

Administrator
I don't know anything about the Zephyr, but Tiffin has an excellent reputation for supporting its customers.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
It hasn't been stated directly yet, so I'll mention that Beaver is a Monaco Corporation brand name and is in most ways identical to the Monaco label brands. There are small differences in trim and interior to distinguish the various brand and model names, but nothing very significant.  Note, though, that the top of the line Beaver is a Marquis and that is more comparable to a Signature than a Patriot (not that a Patriot is very far downscale).

Monaco has an excellent factory service facility in Wildwood, FL, near the junction of I75 and the Florida Turnpike. You can get any Monaco brand services there - Monaco, Beaver, Safari,&  Holiday Rambler. There's another in Oregon if you are out that way.

An American Eagle would also be an outstanding choice. I just bought a 2004 American Tradition myself. American is noted for their great customer service, especially at the factory in Decatur, IN.

Tiffin is another case of noteworthy customer service, at least at their Red Bay, AL facility. Take  a look at a Zephyr or an Allegro Bus and see if you like it.

ArdraF

I'm not sure if this already got posted or not.  Does'nt appear to have been.  "Reply" may not be working right.

We're on our second Monaco and have been quite pleased with both - a 34-foot Windsor and a 40-foot Executive.  Well made and good service.  Neither has IFS and we don't miss it.  We think there are other things on which to base such an expensive purchase - good floorplan, reasonable galley, other features we want, etc.

ArdraF

JerArdra

You are choosing between three very nice (highline) coaches.  Each one is a great coach.  I suggest that you and especially your significant other really make sure you both like the interior layout and colors.  Remember, you drive the coach for a few hours at a time but you live in the coach all the time you're using it.  As an example, if I had a choice between IFS or having 8 golf cart batteries instead of only 4, the batteries would be more important to me because you never can have to much power.  My point is, don't over emphasize on some things.  Stand back and take a longer view.  IFS turns a sharper corner BUT how many times in your life will that be a significant factor?  As for ride, with a 40,000 lb coach it is very difficult to feel the difference between IFS and a non IFS coach.  Another example here, let's assume that IFS does ride slightly better, an IFS coach where the mfg'er put small tires on it will ride much worse than a non IFS coach with larger tires because of the required higher inflation pressures for the smaller tires. 

Take a 2-column sheet of paper and list the PROS and CONS, as you two see them, for each coach.  Then sequence each PRO and CON list so the most important item is at the top of the list and so forth down the list.

JerryF

larichhall

Thanks Jerry for some great thoughts on the IFS! And I'm going to read your list that TOm talks about in the library. We've just arrived in Orlando after 2 hard days on the road and my husband seems to think (at this moment) that he spends more time driving it than living in it!  ;)

AlGriefer

When road-testing the different manufacturers, remember that the different levels of coaches have very different handling characteristics.  For example, my Signature handles very differently from a Dynasty.

Al

stirling

I have had 2 American Eagles and 2 Monacos, I just bought a new Monaco Signature. Both drive very nice, it is much more important to pick a good dealer, floorplan and colors you will like a long time.

Shayne

It's more important to have a factory delivery  and run thru.  Also the Tiffin Phaeton is a fine choice.

BernieD

Shayne said:
It's more important to have a factory delivery  and run thru.  Also the Tiffin Phaeton is a fine choice.

Shayne

The Phaeton is at the bottom of Tiffin's DP line, the Zephyr would be a more comparable model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heprynn
Top Bottom