New Camera - Retirement Gift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Goad

I'd been hoping to get a new digital single lens reflex camera to use during my retirement and was pretty persistent about not accepting what I wanted 2 years ago just because the price was lower.  Karen finally gave in and we ordered a Nikon D80 from Cameta Camaera in Amity, New York via ebay. 

Long story short, I didn't get the Nikon.  :mad: Shortly after the order, I got an email telling me that when they opened the case the camera was in, they found that the cameras in that case had been damaged in shipment from overseas and asked for instructions from me on what I wanted to do about my order and that they would be contacting Nikon about the damage.  I told them that I was willing to wait for a while. :-\

In the interim, I looked around at a some of the other new cameras that are out and saw that the new Pentax K10D had some features that I really liked.  I contacted Cameta, found out that the Nikon was back ordered internationally with no delivery date in sight.  So I asked them to replace the Nikon package with a Pentax camera of near equal value.

What a great camera!  ;D I've been taking a few photos (over 1200 in a couple of weeks) of some local scenery and the grandkids.  I plan on posting the best on line and have a few up at Exit78 Images.  Interstate 40, Exit 78 is the exit for the east side of Russelville, Arkansas.  It is also the exit I got off at to go to Arkansas Nuclear One, where I worked for 26 1/2 years.  The image at the top of  Exit78 Images is a composite of several images that I took with the new camera.  It is a view of Lake Dardanelle from the overpass at Exit 78.

We're headed to Texas for our long trip in our new 5er and will be taking plenty of pictures. 

Hi Mike,

Congratulations on the new camera. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Back in 2001 I took a Nikon 990 to Europe for six weeks and wore out the on/off switch. I had taken over 1900 pictures but had also taken many more before the trip. I now have the Canon Digital Rebel. Maybe someday I'll be able to move up again. ;D One thing we all have to remember is we can shoot as many shots as we want. It doesn't cost a thing!!!! :)

Jim,

Thanks.  Our youngest daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids were here this last weekend and I took LOTS of photos.  A lot of them were not very good, but out of the bunch there were some real gems.  The percentage of good to bad images will probably be better most of the time since I was shooting inside in existing light without flash for the most part. 

Mike,

It takes many, many photos to get a good one. :) I was showing a pro photographer some of my shots a couple of years ago. I think there may have been about a dozen. Another photographer happened to be there. He asked my how many shots I had to take to get those. I calculated about 400. He said that was about right! ;D

Jim,

I agree about it taking lots of shots sometimes to get a few good ones.  One of the drawbacks to film is just that - film.  Even with inexpensive processing, if you take enough rolls of film, and I did, it gets expensive.  There were times after vacations that we'd only get a couple of rolls processed every payday.  (I wonder if I have any of those rolls stuck away somewhere?)

For a time I wanted to get my own darkroom, but now, I'm glad I never went that route. I did get some darkroom experience in my photography classes at Arkansas Tech University.

Well, we're finally on the road, after delays for this and that, and with an accident on our first day, which I'll write another post to the forum about.

Take care

Mike,

We went to Europe in 2001 with the Nathans. It was a six week adventure. I took a digital camera and took over 1940 photos! I would never have been able to afford that with a film camera.

I did a little B&W darkroom work many years ago. Enjoyed the learning experience but it was a temporary setup in the bathroom. Had to take it down everyday. Glad I didn't spring for the color equipment!!!

Sorry to hear you had an accident on your trip. Hope all is well. I'll look for your other message.

Back
Top Bottom