New Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweetsurrender

We finally replaced our 29ft Class C Jayco with a new 31 foot Class A, Winnebago. What a difference! You guys with A's have been quite open about the advantages, but until actually experiencing the ease of having room for stuff (with plenty left over) and a bathroom where our elbows don't knock the walls when turning around, I didn't think it could be such a big thing. Anyhow, I also haven't been posting much, but I assure you, I have been "lurking"....LOL.

As for driving it, there really isn't much difference from the Class C, except for it is way more comfy. The captain seats are power, and actually go forward enough I don't need a pillow behind me to reach the pedals. Also, the big V8 engine seems quieter than the older engine (10?) until it kicks into the lower gears. Then, it is much louder, but as far as power goes it seems to have more than enough to take this nice rig where we want to go. Hopefully when we add a toad it will be the same. It didn't take me too long to learn the right touch to keep it between the lines, and we have driven it in too high of wind already. The rig handles quite nicely and we think we won't need to add any more sway bars. So far, so good with about 400 miles under my belt with it.

One big difference I noticed is in the braking of this rig. Should I have to lightly pump them to get them to actually engage? There is some slowing power when I first go on the brake, but until I give it a little "pump", the pedal seems to go closer to the floor than I am comfortable with. Also the brakes squeak quite a bit. The service center told me that is normal on a new class A, but I'd like to hear from some experienced folks on that.

Thanks for any thoughts about the brakes, and of course any "driving a Class A" tips. I hope everyone has a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

The brake pedal feel and function sounds like a hydra boost system.
Does it seem to need more pedal foot pressure than you are accustomed to ?

The service center told me that is normal on a new class A
Don't believe anything they tell you. All problems are "normal" when a new vehicle is still in warranty. It becomes abnormal only after the warranty is over and you have to pay for the repair.

In my 2022 Class A, I am impressed how well the brakes work in such a heavy vehicle. And they do not make any noise that I can hear.

-Don- Reno, NV

Congratulations! We're also targeting a 31' Class A, so I'll be following your questions.

As for driving it, there really isn't much difference from the Class C, except for it is way more comfy.
I still use both and I see a lot of advantages over the Class A and find it easier to drive than a Class C. With the A, WYSIWYH (what you see is what you have). No tall space above the windshield that you cannot see as with a "C". And no extra space to the sides.

Better view in the Class A while driving with those large windows.

More places to put stuff, both inside and out (but not so true with the small Thor Axis Class A that I first looked at).

-Don- Reno, NV

One big difference I noticed is in the braking of this rig. Should I have to lightly pump them to get them to actually engage? There is some slowing power when I first go on the brake, but until I give it a little "pump", the pedal seems to go closer to the floor than I am comfortable with. Also the brakes squeak quite a bit. The service center told me that is normal on a new class A, but I'd like to hear from some experienced folks on that.
Doesn't sound at all normal to me. The brakes should stop the coach smoothly and silently every time. I'd get it back to a dealer, preferably a Ford dealer, for a brake check ASAP. The brakes are a chassis component and the chassis has its own warranty. You want a pro vehicle mechanic to check them out! Note that not all Ford dealers can handle a rig that size - you will need to check around for a truck-qualified Ford shop.

Thanks to everyone. Making appointment now for brake check.

Gary RV Wizard, no kidding about which dealers service these things! I talked to Winnebago, and they assured me of two of them in this area who can. Side note, I was told to talk to the service manager only, or ask for the fleet manager. Oddly, the local Winnebago dealer doesnt know that, which is why I talked to Winnebago directly.

There are so many things the dealers dont know, huh? I guess that is one of the best things about the forum! Folks who DO know things.

Anyhow, thanks everyone!

I spoke too soon. The two Ford dealers Winnebago gave me to call both refuse to do anything. One says the lift is too small, and the other that they only have one and it may be in use for .... infinity and beyond, I guess. It didn't make any sense. LOL...here in the Las Vegas valley where there are more than two million people, there is one truck center that will entertain the idea of servicing the Ford part of an RV. Oddly, there are places of a few thousand people that have the facilities. Unfortunately, they are about 200 miles away.

I guess for people wanting to get into RVing, maybe the problem of having that Ford warranty work done might be something to be made aware of. We certainly didn't think of it. Would it keep us from getting one of these? Probably not, but some people hate surprises! Brakes are one thing that we can certainly handle out of warranty if necessary, but there are some pretty big things that can go wrong, though luckily they seldom do. It would be nice if the RV manufacturers got on this situation as it can't be just here that the problem exists.

It might be fruitful to call nearby Ford (and Lincoln) dealers in your area, emphasis on very big dealerships, until you find one that will work on your RV. Our largeish Ford dealer has a dedicated RV lift and invites Ford RV chassis repair. Our local Lincoln dealer had a (female) mechanic who immediately diagnosed and repaired the V10 we had in a previous Class A that would go into and out of limp mode, after two RV garages and another Ford dealer were unable even to diagnose. Service is like a box of chocolates . . .

Thanks Urban Hermit. The local Lincoln dealer used to service them here, they were the ones who replaced the master cylinder on our Jayco. They were great to work with too. Unfortunately, they no longer accept RV's. Wish they would!
As for the large lift, one of the Ford dealers who is supposed to be servicing these has such a lift, but gave me a song and dance about how their lift is always in use...??? I told him they could keep the rig for several weeks if needed, and the guy insisted he couldn't promise that would be enough time. Weird. I kinda picture a large truck on the lift...eternally. Just hangin' there....all the time.

Great minds think alike, Gary! Turns out I did call Ford directly on Tuesday. They do in fact authorize RV repairs shops to do work, as long as they use Ford parts. I tried the Winnebago dealer and two independent places so far, and none of them do brakes.
I am learning quite a bit about hydro boost braking systems though. The brakes engage just fine after I pump the peddle once, and that seems to be a symptom of low fluid. Now if I can get a Ford dealer to check the levels, maybe no lift is needed, just a special tool to get into the brake fluid resevoir.
Ha! Like it could be that easy...
Thanks for the tip about Ford. Any others are always welcome.

Not sure if they changed the master cylinder location when they went to the V8, but the master cylinder on my F-53 with the V-10 is easily accessible under the hood of my Bounder. Not like the old Chevy P30 I started with at all.

Great minds think alike, Gary! Turns out I did call Ford directly on Tuesday. They do in fact authorize RV repairs shops to do work, as long as they use Ford parts. I tried the Winnebago dealer and two independent places so far, and none of them do brakes.
Few RV dealers do chassis work and even fewer are skilled at it. Find a shop that does medium and heavy duty trucks and ask if they are willing to work with Ford parts. If yes, call Ford again to authorize. I'd have them diagnose the problem so you knew whether it was something simple or potentially major, even if you ended up paying for the diagnosis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom