new converter problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pollittax

hi all, this is my first post so we will see how i do. basiclly we pick up our new 290 prowler lynx, leftover06 model. the dealer told us the converter had been replaced in the unit because it was pluged into shore power with out a battery connected. can that be true? all the lights have also been replaced. if that is true do you guys think any thing else may have been harmed?

I'm skeptical, but it is possible. However, the converter should be able to run without a battery, since it normally splits its output between battery charging and supplying the house circuits. And I don't see why a failed converter would damage the lights either. My guess is that they messed something up, maybe put 220V through it or something.

Make sure you have a written warranty that covers electrical problems, since you don;t know what may have been damaged. Whether their story is true or there was some other cause. If the 12v power surged badly enough to blow out lights, it may have damaged the circuit borads for the fridge, water heater and furnace, all of which use 12v power.

It's almost impossible to hook up a 120VAC rig to 240VAC unless someone did some 'cruel and unusual' wiring to it. But, better safe than sorry. If something took out the converter, it may well have taken out other things, both 12VDC and 120VAC appliances. Check for proper operation on everything - lights, furnace(s), a/c's, fridge... everything! If it's truly a leftover 2006, they should have no problem giving you the 'new' warranty. Insist on it, or walk away. 

It's almost impossible to hook up a 120VAC rig to 240VAC unless someone did some 'cruel and unusual' wiring to it.

That's the scary part. I can't imagine how they managed to burn out a converter and do it in a fashion that destroyed lighting as well. Somebody had to do something extreme and unusual to cause that.

And it is possible to plug a 30A power cord into a three prong, 220V outlet of the sort typically used for electric welders or 1960's vintage clothes dryers. The results can be spectacular!  :eek:

I would check EVERY 12 volt "Thing" in the rig, this includes the fridge, water heater, furnace, air conditioners (All use 12 volt for control) fans and sensor panels

I do agree with the up-lines.. Sounds like he plugged it into a 240 volt outlet.  Though some converters will either 1: Refuse to work or 2: Pop internal fuses or 3: Regulate it down  Some of the older converters were very cheep, little or no regulation (NOTE: some have regulated charge lines but unregulated load lines) and if you plug one of those into 240 volt you get 24vdc on the lines

This WILL do damage

Back
Top Bottom